Living the Good Life


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
June 7th 2006
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bon Voyage to Canton and G'day to Chengdu.

Caught a 2hr flight over and surprise suprise its raining cats and dogs. Seems like the rain is following me wherever I go??

Picked the Dragon Town Youth Hostel for a bed to sleep in. Was in a 12 people dorm in an attic!! Nice! Finding the hostel was a bit of a laugh... walked through rubble and mud pitts to find a construction site... Um where has the hostel gone?? Locals led the way, lonely planet describes it as 'beautiful'...well the photos speak for themselves.

Chengdu is developed like any other city but definately less 'hectic' than the other major players. Its a bit more laid back which I like.

Headed to see the Giant Pandas, on the brink of extinction hence the existance of a Breeding and Research Centre. These fellas are lazy buggas...they eat, sleep, eat, sleep...not a bad life!!

I caught a bus to the Breeding centre at 7am hoping to catch them at their feeding time when they are the most awake... well... i assume they eat half asleep too!

Pandas are extremely shy lonesome creatures and pretty chilled out. Populations are declining and they are on the brink of extinction. Pandas don't get pregnant easily and hence the breeding centre.

Saw Ling Ling, the Beijing Olympics Mascot. She's only 8 months old! She was rolled up like a ball sleeping on the tree... Well I guess I'll see her again in 2008!






Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb