Panda Research Institute! And many more adventures...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
January 15th 2011
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.

Me with a sleeping panda!
Today (well, officially yesterday...) us USAC students went to the Panda Research Institute, where I got to see pandas in real life! It was quite a life-changing experience, because not many people can say they've been to the actual research and development center. Here, research teams from around the world breed pandas, care for baby pandas, and develop new methodologies pertaining to sucessful pregnancies.
And the long bus ride was worth it...the baby pandas were so cute! Red pandas are really cool, too!
We were given the option of holding a panda for 1500 kuai (or about $230). I was so tempted to do it...where else in the world can you hold a panda for a couple of minutes? But then again, that money could instead go toward a trip to Thailand...Guilin...Tibet...

I also had the chance to explore Tibetan street for the past couple of days. And, it's right outside the school campus! It's definately one of my favorite places to go to. One can experience the culture of Tibet, as well as the Tibetan language, without having to physically go there. Of course, it's not even close to experiencing Tibet itself...but for now, I'm happy with it!

I also went to the down-town shopping center of Chengdu. It's a very beautiful area. In a way, it made me homesick for Beijing. For some reason...Beijing just clicked with me.

I've also been spending a lot of my time exploring small streets and hidden alley ways with my friend, Mackenzie. For sure, this is one of the best ways to meet people, and get a feel for the culture! Last night, two guys talked with us for hours and bought us beer!


Additional photos below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.
Panda Research Institute.

Look at that fat little bottom!
Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.
Panda Research Institute.

This panda was about four months old...
Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.
Panda Research Institute.

I don't know who the girl is on the left, but there's Allison, me, Analise, Professor Jielun, Madi, Mackenzie and Rockie.
Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.
Panda Research Institute.

A bear skull (on the left) compared to a panda skull (on the right). The panda jaw line is so much bigger...
Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.
Panda Research Institute.

There were peacocks everywhere.
Panda Research Institute.Panda Research Institute.
Panda Research Institute.

Eating bamboo. Apparently, no one knows why they switched from meat to bamboo as their primary source of food. Because bamboo provides no energy, they're always weak, and cannot mate easily.


17th January 2011

AWESOME
haha you saw the real panda. baby panda are cute, but it is not worth to pay that much money just for holding them. Sichuan province has a lot of nice spicy food, try them.
20th January 2011

The Ultimate Tourist
My name is Jennie and i would just like to inform you that there now is a homepage called http://theultimatetourist.com, where tourists around the world finally can get some use out of all the photos they have, posing by different tourist attractions. Here you can choose from over one hundred attractions and typical touristic activities, upload your photos and collect one tourist point for each photo. Reach different levels and everybody over 80 points will become Ultimate Tourists (And of course, remember you have to be in the photos yourself, to prove you were actually there. The Forbidden City is one of the options.. :). So if you want to compete with your photos, or just spread the word, go into theultimatetourist.com Good luck with your travels!

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb