Farewell Chengdu ... for now.


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

SunburstSunburstSunburst

Taken in Chengdu flower park.
Our summer travels have officially begun! On June 24th we packed up our apartment, said goodbye to our bikes 😞 and boarded a sleeper train south. First stop, the province we have been eyeing since before we boarded the plane for Hong Kong. Yunnan. We plan to travel the province for about a month going wherever the wind takes us with a definite stay in Tiger Leaping Gorge (look it up!) After that, who knows!
Our only commitment lies in August when we have diving, wrestling, boxing, and track & field tickets for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Life is tough...

This post is a little farewell to Chengdu and contains pictures of some things in the city we became most fond of. Stay tuned for a summer travel post with pics of some of the most beautiful mountains you have ever seen! Talk to you soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Dancin' in the StreetDancin' in the Street
Dancin' in the Street

Shy about dancing? Forget about it. Huge groups of couples and dance troups dance everywhere around Chengdu. Especially in People's Park. This was taken outside a large shopping complex. We showed them what's up.
Two Bees Flying ...Two Bees Flying ...
Two Bees Flying ...

A Chinese game for couples where you try to match your partner's hand gesture. Kind of like rock, paper, scissors, but more of a singing spectacular.
Chengdu Farewell CrewChengdu Farewell Crew
Chengdu Farewell Crew

Last dinner in Chengdu with co-workers/friends.
Our New FriendOur New Friend
Our New Friend

People's Park go-ers are always eager to chat.
StaredownStaredown
Staredown

Sometimes these chats head south.
Fishing with Nai Nai (grandma)Fishing with Nai Nai (grandma)
Fishing with Nai Nai (grandma)

One of Stephanie's students invited us to go fishing with her and her grandparents (who fish every weekend) Pictured is the fishing extraordinaire, Selina. She caught 7 to our 2.
The Fruits of our LaborThe Fruits of our Labor
The Fruits of our Labor

In the final minutes of our fishing session Selina's grandpa caught a big ole billy bass which we took to a nearby restaurant and ate fried with white onions and sweet and sour sauce. Pictured are grandma and grandpa.
Cafe PanameCafe Paname
Cafe Paname

A French bar in Chengdu which features a jazz band every Thursday followed by a jam session. Stephanie may have sang a ditty or two.
Bikes!Bikes!
Bikes!

The street outside our apartment. When spring sprung we bought secondhand bikes which showed us a whole new Chengdu.
Notice:Notice:
Notice:

"PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE FISHES WITH YOUR PRIVATE."
Chunxi LuChunxi Lu
Chunxi Lu

The famous walking street in town.
Your Secondhand LifeYour Secondhand Life
Your Secondhand Life

Secondhand market. Outdoor thriftstore feel -- with baked goods.
Easter SundayEaster Sunday
Easter Sunday

Cody catching up on his reading. We decided to check out the Christian Church in town with Star. PACKED.
Choir Choir
Choir

Choir at Chengdu Church.
People's ParkPeople's Park
People's Park

with yours trulies.


2nd July 2008

That dancing in the street looks fun. Have a great time in Yunnan Province. Beijing - Olympics - 2 treats in one. What a big fish!
2nd July 2008

Happy Travels Guys! We'll be thinking of you in Milwaukee this weekend! Love, Drew
12th July 2008

Holiday at last!
That fish looks so good!!! Can't wait to see the photos of Tiger Leaping Gorge. Happy traveling!!! You are always in our thoughts. Love you tons!
14th July 2008

What songs did you sing at the jazz bar? Did you hang out there all the time? Were there any Frenchies there? Christian is going to Quebec this August with his family. He has effectively learned one phrase from the phrase book so far, "J'ai le diarrhee." When you come back you will hear that often. Ethan has a special lady friend who, according to Bridgey and Aldeny, is very pretty and a good golfer. Graham has grown six inches and I have gained 23 pounds. It's hard being in Madison without you guys and sometimes (okay- a lotta time) cheese danishes soften the blow. we love and miss you both very very very very much.
14th July 2008

oolong
I was just in my car and caught a talk radio segment highlighting various tea's of the world. The majority of the segment covered Yunnan's oolong tea varieties. I listened because of ya'll. Yunnan oolong was noted as especially delicious but most difficult to cultivate. What do you think? Can you share your expertise?
23rd July 2008

Staredown
What prompted the stare-down w/ Mr. Redshorts?
28th July 2008

Hi guys!
Hi Steph and Cody! I hope you're having fun on your vacation. I can't wait until you come back. I'm going to a different school next year. I'm going to Golda Meir. I'm buiding a playhouse in the back yard. See you soon. Love, Monae

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb