Do You Know Gong Fu? - Pictures, videos, and commentary from Chinese New Year 2008


Advertisement
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
February 22nd 2008
Published: February 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Spring Festival We woke up a few minutes before the sun on Feb.7, our first morning in the Kaifeng countryside in the province of Henan. The thermometer read 36deg F . . . in our bedroom. We made a mad dash from our mountain of blankets, grabbed for whatever layers we weren’t already wearing, and stepped out into a crisp silence, unlike anything we have experienced in China thus far. There wer... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Iron PagodaIron Pagoda
Iron Pagoda

We wound up this 13 story pagoda, through corridors only big enough for one person to pass through. A rewarding climb.
Stone Elephant and CrewStone Elephant and Crew
Stone Elephant and Crew

They flank the street approaching the old emperor's palace in Kaifeng (northside, inside the city walls).
Hey, Wait a MinuteHey, Wait a Minute
Hey, Wait a Minute

We're in China! (Ita, Steph, and George in a Kaifeng public square)
Spring Festival DecorationsSpring Festival Decorations
Spring Festival Decorations

Abundant in the red lantern category. This is at a public new year festival in a Kaifeng park.
1000 Armed 1000 Eyed Guanyin1000 Armed 1000 Eyed Guanyin
1000 Armed 1000 Eyed Guanyin

Traditional Chinese dance honoring the 1000-handed goddess of mercy, Guanyin. Note the eyes on the hands of the dancers.
Lion DanceLion Dance
Lion Dance

Inside the lion there are a couple of amazingly talented lion dancers (humans). Think of a 2-person horse costume, but quite a bit less tacky. And much more acrobatic.



24th February 2008

Happy Chinese New Year!
Wow!!! What a great Chinese New Year's festival. I love your adjectives describing the food. Makes the mouth water. I simply love the dancing lion!!!!! And I love the countryside. What a treasure to find such a wonderful, warm welcoming family! What does Nu'er mean? The TV watching seemed a lot lile New Year's eve here. I wonder what people there did before TV. How cold was that water, Stephanie? Was that the ocean or a lake? Thanks for sharing your wonderful holiday with us. Love you tons!
27th February 2008

barf bags
Cody...you make me proud. Barfing in a crowd and hanging onto it...that is what foreign travel is all about.
29th February 2008

love the dancing lion
Monae and East just loved the dancing lion!!!! They watched it over and over and over again. And they liked the surf dodging too! Love you tons.
29th February 2008

woww! that's really cool you were able to meet up with george/family and see China's countryside. that noodle maker is incredible...i bet those were delightful! loving this blog!
1st March 2008

Happy Birthday Steph!
so funny--"There’s nothing worse than onlookers when you’re ruffling your tummy feathers." also so gross. you guys are quite strong to be so patient! and the lion dance is crazy! so colorful! Lovin it! Emails to the both of you coming soon...
1st March 2008

gong fu ouch!
As usual, it appears you experienced pretty much everything possible on your latest adventure. What a wonderful, welcoming family! And the food sounded so good! Wisconsin may even seem warm to you after your stay there... Loved best the path-prancing Stephanie picture, and the incredible dancing lion. And the turtle, of course. Love you lots!!! Happy Birthday, Steph!
3rd March 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEPH! WE LOVE YOU!
5th March 2008

Greetings. As usual, your blog is food for much thought. The generosity and warmth of George's family, who began as strangers to you, is truly notable. I discovered I very much like the Chinese people when I toured China. My experience found them warm family oriented, kind, curious about the US culture/politics. It takes several sessions of viewing your blog to get through all your fabulous photos, and videos, and then viewing them again, and so many experiences you share. Thank you.
14th March 2008

never turn your back on the ocean.
15th March 2008

i absolutely love reading this, you guys. what adventure youre having! Steph, i love the frolicking:) And I cant believe the train fiasco! I love you both!~
17th March 2008

Amazing dancing lion! And it was great to see you frolicking in the surf steph! Sorry about the blow to the jewels cody! Drew, Angela and Benji

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb