Day 310 - Atishu, bless you, thank you


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
May 8th 2007
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another quiet day, well for blog material anyway.

We both felt quite miserable today as we have seemed to pick up a bad cold each. This is what happens when you actually hang around the hostel, rather than what we do usually and only use the place to sleep in.

We then flew to Lijiang in the evening. Arriving in this exquisite little ancient refurbished town, after an earthquake a few years ago. As a UNESCO Heritage site, a lot of money has been put into rebuilding the city as it was.

The shuttle bus took us, not really that surprisingly, to the airport shuttle bus terminal in town where taxi drivers stand proud next to their taxis, looking as though they were ready to go. However we were usherd out the gate and told quite firmly that we could not use these taxis, perplexing indeed. So we walked to a plush hotel so that we could try and find out where our hotel was since taxi drivers on the side of the road had no idea. A very helpful assistant manager got us on our way. A little disheartening was the fact that 6 blokes were beating up and shaming a woman at the entrance. We took the selfish approach and decided that our personal safety comes first and that we wouldn't get involved. Even the security guards were waiting for back up. Although there was nothing we could have done that would actually have helped, we still drove away slightly shameful we did not do anything to help.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb