CHINA: Yungang at minus 20 C


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shanxi » Datong
November 17th 2012
Published: November 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

CHINA: Yungang at minus 20 C. Midnight train from Beijing...soft sleeper...nil sleep...Italians from Milan snoring in the top bunks...like Dr Zhivago outside...icy wastes of Inner Mongolia...then into Shanxi Provence...felt like Siberia. Train pulls into Datong at 7 a.m...dark...icy...cold as...follow the Italians...then Denise & I alone in the snow...the glow of a few lights...people scurrying.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 75, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

DHYANADHYANA
DHYANA

14M high...meditating position...Cave 20



17th November 2012

Brrrrrrrr.....
Another wonderful, Chinese history lesson and more great pics from the Dancing One, I love it :) Sounds like you are a sucker for punishment though Dave. I'd rather go in the spring or summer.... Yes, one trick I learnt in the Arctic wastes of Sweden was to always keep your camera battery close to your skin until you are going to use it. Not that I ever want to venture into such desolate places again of course :)
18th November 2012

NICK Brrrrrrr...
The things you have to do to be the only ones at a top tourist site. Forgot to say how hard it was on the fingers to hold my camera steady. It was mind numbingly cold yet exhilerating...must be a left brain thing...or is it the right?
17th November 2012

anything for art
So glad you endured the cold to bring us these exquisite images! Amazing that the red color and delicate carving are still vivid after all these years! Love too your taxi driver stories and "David Hoo Tour (Your Travel Experts with Minimal Experience but Maximum Optimism)."
18th November 2012
ACROSS THE ROAD

Must get out my China photos
Tks for this blog - what memories - I remember before leaving Oz really wanting to see this at Datong and I was amazed and humbled at the same time.
18th November 2012
ACROSS THE ROAD

HI ROS
We were travelling south & you were travelling north...and then our paths crossed with Mike's laconic "Good day." I will be blogging those events shortly...something to look forward to! Led us to go to Mali & Ethiopia together...many happy memories. Hope you are both well.
20th November 2012

Yowsa that sounds cold!
You make us want to head to China. Lots of great caves, carvings, shrines, pagodas and the like. Love the history you provide and as always the photos are excellent.
20th November 2012

DAVE & MERRY JO
Nice to hear from the happy travellers...one further country for your bucket list...China...gotta love it. Keep well. I'll be back there in a month.
25th November 2012

Did a fantastic job with the photos Dave. We know how hard it is to capture the grandeur AND the delicate nature of temples in a photo....you managed it superbly. As for the cold, there is nothing worse than the frustration of being so cold your fingers stop working, and the pain when thawing out. Great blog as always.
25th November 2012

HI SHELLEY & SCOTT
Always appreciated you take time on your full time travels to read my blogs. Somewhat surprised enough pics came out but quite a few did not. I got a bit into grotto hunting after Yungang...and didn't let the cold slow me down. Happy travels to you guys.

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 38; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb