Marco Polo was a tourist!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Tai'an
April 20th 2009
Published: April 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our travels have taught us many things - to have more tolerance and understanding of the different cultures and their behaviour; to accept that some things will not happen quickly; to be fast and furious with chopsticks; that a smile and nod will go a long way; that children are the same all around the world. But the most confounding is the many times we have found a difference in how history is recorded.

When we were kids growing up and going to school we learned about Christopher Columbus, Marco Polo and Captain Cook. The adventures of just a couple of the most significant explorers in European (or Australian) history. Now, I think I'm old enough to understand that there are many different versions of history or for that matter, current affairs. I am somewhat baffled by how little the children/adults know of the outside world. The China Administration keep a tight lid on most of it. Youtube is offline indefinitely. Most of the news that filters through is all about the good things that China is doing around the country and in the world market etc. Education is selective. Of course, who would want to keep repeating anything that might make you look bad to the masses. Are there any problems in Tibet? No. A world recession, or dare I say it, a depression? You wouldn't know it to see some of the building and construction going on here. The average Mr Li wouldn't know what world recession means. Surprisingly though, the average Mr Li knows who Kevin Rudd is. And a Happy New Lunar Year to you too, Kevie!

My recollection of the history lesson is that Marco Polo travelled to China (Cathay back then) with his father and uncle on one of their trade missions. They spent many years there and worked for the Kublai Khan, then emperor of some great dynasty. The topic of discussion in one of my older kids' classes the other day was about food around the world. We discussed Indian curries, Japanese sushi, French Fries, Hamburgers etc. And while we were talking about italian food, pizza and spaghetti, I decided to ask if they know where spaghetti originated. (They already knew that noodles were first made around 1000BC)... Blank faces. I asked them if they learned at school about an italian man who travelled to China. Faces light up and they call out Marco Polo! Wow! I'm on to something. They know of someone who isn't Chinese! So, out of curiosity, and a little off topic, I asked what did they know of him. He was a tourist! I laughed. At what point does a tourist stop being a tourist and become one of the people?

We will be living here for at least a year, and I asked myself that question after classes were finished for the weekend. Officially, we are residents. That's what it says in our passports. The feeling of, "holy shit, we're living in China" has worn off after three months and we have settled into a comfortable apartment with fresh food close by, supermarkets and ATM's, fitness club, hairdresser, and buses and traffic. Same same, but different latitude and longitude. The culture still seems vastly different to Australia but we have learned where to find things that we need or be resourceful with what's available to us. We are recognized by the locals and invited for tea. There is still the interest in us as different looking people but after some time, that too, will wear off...maybe not. The sounds of the language are becoming familiar and we are starting to learn more words and phrases.

So, hypothetically, if we lived here for the same length of time that Marco Polo lived here, would we still be called a tourist? Absolutely!

On the other hand, if a Chinese couple move to Australia, live and work like we do, are they known as tourists? No. They have a few name changes. Chinese, immigrants, residents, then if they apply for citizenship, Australian. In a multicultural society such as in Oz, it is easy to call anyone, a new Australian. But in a single culture society would we be given the same consideration? Hmmm...

"I'd like you to meet Dave and Lynne, our neighbours. They're new Chinese"..... I don't think so.


The added pics are from my recent visit to the Dai Temple next to work. The word 'temple' sent Dave into involuntary spasms, so I went alone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

More touristsMore tourists
More tourists

Dai Temple grounds on the right, the busy outside street on the left


Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 93; dbt: 0.2376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb