Peoples Republic of China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Qingdao
September 11th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Greetings all, its your Asia corresspondant back to redeem himself after a somewhat shakey opening blog. So yeh... im in China and what a big few days it has been in the PRC. I left you last as my Japan Air flight was decending upon the Chinese seaside (Daniel) metropolis known as Qingdao. Qingdao is a city located on the east coast of China in between Shanghai and Beijing. Mostly renowned for its world class sea food and producer of the most popular beer in china, Tsingdao Beer. After strolling the city for the past few days i would best describe it as the Gold Coast equivalent of CHina, but on a much larger scale. Very hot, somewhat dated infrastructure and moderately crowded streets. Qingdao is home to 5 million Qingdaonese which is considered small compared to Beijing who is tipping 40million so they tell me. Just whilst i talk about population, i got told that 8% of China's population carries a Y chromosone of the great Ghengis Kahn! That wiley Mongol! Covered more ground than Simon Minton-Connell and Richard Osborne put together!

As i was saying, the last few days have been quite the eye opener. Ive been walking around looking like Mark McGough for the past 72hrs just taking it all in. I think i mentioned previously that Gregory and i were the only westerners on our flight and this was pretty much the case at the airport as well. First thing i saw when i stepped off the plane was a huge sign saying 'Welcome to China, home of the 2008 Beijing Olympics'. Its everywhere over here. After being harrassed at customs, greg and i finally walked through the arrivals gate where there were a sea of chinese waving paper with various scribble on it. Felt like i had walked into a betting ring and they were all hedging their bets. After an exaggerated sigh we both assumed it was gonna prove tough to find our ride. Within seconds two short rather excited fellows rocked over with a sign saying Mr Tom and Mr Greg MIFM. Pleasantries were exchange then it was, 'Time to hit the road'. I think they both developed hernias lifting our suitcases, which were bigger than them, into their car. I chuckled slyly to myself i must admit.

It was in the car that that culture shock began. In China they seem to have an extrodinary ability to make the most simple of tasks insanely difficult. For us to get out of the car park took furious cutting in and out, excessive horn use and just cunningness (had to be careful on the spelling of that one!). Once out of the car park we headed for home, wherever that may be. I forgot to mention that neither of these two knew any english, not one word. At first i thought the driver was being super cautious driving us home as i never saw him get out of second gear or exceed 40km on the freeway. It was at about the 7th time he stalled the car that my eyebrow raised and 'Teacher Li' (passenger seat) turned to us and said "...learning haha". Perfect, i was in a steel coffin with four wheels. Its bizar that going so slow and cautiously actually made me feel less safe than passing motorist who flew by. Would you believe it, after avoiding a narrow accident, and i know it was close because even they looked scared, we arrived at the University of Qingdao.

The grounds of the university are stunning, as is the city. The Uni is about a ten minute walk from a picturesque coastline with a glorious mountrain range as a backdrop. So far so good! The Uni is made up of a large garden and lake with several buildings just like any other uni. I hope to get a camera from Walmart tomorrow so i can begin to post pictures on here as im pretty average at conveying scenary. So we went up to the office/staff room where there was a desk each for us with text books and various requirements waiting. No body there though, and the two jokers who drove us to the uni had no idea what was going, or so it seemed. They thought it was a good idea to leave the uni and take us to our apartment, brilliant, another car trip with this 'prodigious' motorist.

It was only a short drive before we stopped at the ghettos of Qingdao where Greg and i looked at each other with both our eye balls extended from our sockets like an acme cartoon. There was a fellow expatriate already living at this apartment who had been in Qingdao in 3 weeks longer than us. His name is Mark, he is a fair dinkum character from Stawell who came across earlier as a replacement teacher. We stood out the front of the building waiting for a good 10minutes whilst Teacher Li and the other bloke walked around aimlessly scratching their heads. It was then we were ushered back into the car and taken out for lunch. Lunch was quite the experience. Instead of having a menu, its custom at this particular venue to walk out the back a pick a picture off the wall of what you want to eat. To be honest, none of it looked to appealing so i just chose one that looked like fried rice. We sat back down at the table whilst everyone around us smoked and talked in native tongue. Our lunch finally arrived and was actually pretty good. My rice was accompanied with shell fish and some fish soup with chilli, apparently quite a traditional chinese dish.

During lunch someone had got onto Mark so we headed back to the apartment where Mark was waiting. Now i dont wanna scare mum or anyone but apartment isnt the most flash piece of real estate on the market. Very very basic indeed. We have hot water, tv, 3 bedrooms, shower, electricity, stove, ac, heating and a microwave. I think we were both just shocked initially but we have accepted and got used to our home. Im greatful that it is clean and we have sufficient living requirements. Time for me to toughen up a bit i think. I was thinking about it that night whilst in bed and its the entire reason that i subjected myself to such an adventure. I wanna live their culture, get out of my comfort zone and just broaden my outlook on the world! Just on my bed by the way, its a single which is fine but instead of a matress its this wooden slats which are covered by very thin blankets acting as cushioning. I thought i was gonna hate my bed and just not be able to handle such an arrangement but my first night was fine and i actually slept rather well. Not sure whether that was because i was so tired or because the bed was moderately comfortable. So that was my first of many nights in the former Qing dynasty and i conceeded that things were good. Felt ridiculous but i already miss everyone at home and just the convenience of being able to contact everyone so easily. You take it for granted. I still havnt worked at how to call Australia. The area calling codes dont seem to work and no one here speaks a word of english. ANyway, for now this is my best source of communicating to everyone so once again thank you for reading my blog. I have plenty more to tell u but this is getting far too long and im tired. Hope all is well back in Terra Nullius. Tom Munro, your Asia Correspondent.....Qingdao

Advertisement



12th September 2006

olympic fever
first off, love the obscure references to footballers. especially simon minton-connell! if you could throw in jason trianides and ashley blurton it would be much appreciated. are you gonna become one of those guys that follows the olympics around every 4 years? first at seoul where you were debbie flintoff-kings coach, then at barcelona where you were singing with jose carreras at the opening ceremony, then atlanta when you were the false start official for kyle vanderkuyp's quarterfinal in the 110m hurdles, then sydney where you were the controversial judge who gave allana slater a near perfect 9.973 on the uneven bars, and then finally in athens where you had to apologise to sally robbins for clocking her with an oar shortly after the final. and now china... you've led quite a life tamserian!
12th September 2006

Thanks for remembering my email. Your paragraph about when you left really hit home for me and i only went away for 2.5 months. I told you Japan would be expensive but despite everyone warning you, you have to experience it for yourself! Enjoy all that fried rice and i look forward to reading about your next shananagans. Zaijian, Antonia (Will's lady friend)
12th September 2006

Freeloader
Its Clark again with another of what will be many pointless and unhelpful comments i will be posting on this 'blog' site. By the way, whats the deal with blogging. Another internet-inspired buzz word. Lord help us. Maybe i should send TLMM's correspondance off to one of our television networks to be converted into a mini-series. Who would play the difficult lead role of T Munro? Finally, its good to hear you want live it tough like a local over there. Just don't take it too far and quit the teaching to work in a sweat shop. Although that would make the mini-series more interesting. Peace out
12th September 2006

Quick question
Qingdao isn't located on the map of China travel blog provides. I can't be bothered finding my year 9 atlas so where is it in relation to Peking.
12th September 2006

Cricket fees
Hey Tommy. Tacca here. Willy said i could reach you at this site. I'm looking to get your outstanding cricket fees. I'm happy to accept payment in Yuan or a bank of China cheque. By the way, im offending you didn't book your flights through Croydon travel. We offer a very competitive China package. See you in time for the second half of the Cricket season
12th September 2006

Teacher Tom
Sounds like "rumahku cukup baik, Pak. Bagus sekali!"
13th September 2006

cosy house, vintage charm.
Wow... hey listen don't tell loges but i'm trying to buy some hip new real-estate in a cunning act of one-up-man-ship (never typed that before not likely to again). your "ghetto chik" sound like just the place. does it have a length of string to hang washing on or at least a veiw of a lawn bowls green. Yup'é'dai! mate sounds like you're having a blast if you get tired of the rice i can highly recomend the chiko rolls at least then you know that your eating entrails.
13th September 2006

Tarrrmarrrda
I only wrote this cos I want eveyone to see that I know how to say two things in Mandarin. Piow Liang Nuren...which is me and Tarrrmarrda..that can be you. Howls Magic Castle will be returned to Danny 2mrw. Peace out Mr Tom!
14th September 2006

You can't just eat fried rice for 6 months Munro, but i'm sure you'll give it a good crack. If you get desperate we can send a Warney-inspired care package of Baked Beans. How about Eric Bana (with a neat gentlemans perm) as Tom Munro in the hit new mini-series Will suggested. Your lucky you've got wooden slats to sleep on, i remember back in 'Nam' we were sleeping on used machine gun shells, using piles of faeces as pillows. Didn't smell so great, but the warmest pillow you're likely to get this side of Baghdad. (quick note, they're going through a shock cold patch, only expecting 41 degrees today. Poor souls, hopefully they get some heat soon) Will keep you updated in the following weeks of Baghdad's forecasts, just to keep your mind a ease. Cheers bro, don't be afraid of the great unknown, its where lifes most memorable experiences come from...
15th September 2006

Old nam stories
Yeah aimsey, I remember that fateful night near the mekong delta when 'charlie' got the drop on us. These young kids today are all spoilt, they should know what old timers like us went through for them.
15th September 2006

Nice try Boy!
Hey Ya, well done boy. You made it, as you were talking about to visit Asia oneday since I knew you. After years, you did make your dream become real and now you are living your dream. I am proud of you. Your world does become different and more then that is your life has started a great new chapter. But the fun part is just about to begin, sure you will learn lots and meet people. Life is about adventure, you are on the way to discover ... Good Luck!
17th September 2006

The baggy red and yellow
Whats going on T Mas. Hows the PRC treating you. You must be pretty flat out with the teaching gig. Hows that going? I look forward to your next posting. On another subject, am i able to borrow your baggy red and yellow. I want to be able to wear the colours with pride as I give it my all for Ainslie. Or something. Anyway, take it easy and hope to hear from yall soon.
15th October 2006

woo!you have so much friends!
hi!Tom!Another Tom(called Chen Guang) tell me this blog.Although he has forget your blog address,he prints your article in very small word.So i can find your blog in google.com. i also need friends because i'm in a big trouble about my study.But they are not online. So say "hi" to you again,and enjoy your travel in China

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb