English Corner


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shandong » Ji'Nan
October 14th 2012
Published: October 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

At Black Tiger Spring park every Sunday morning, a group of people meet to practise their English.

Any English speaking person is welcome to come along and just chat. So any westerners are especially welcome.

You just stand there or lean against something or perch and people surround you and want to talk about anything and everything.

I was quite of interest being new and people just wanted to hear my accent and ask questions and compare life for us to them, ask why I was in China, what I thought of China etc.



Clayton and his partner Julia who is a Chinese lady and speaks flawless English, took me there, we took the bus. I met Geoff from the USA, he and his wife. They have retired here after her teaching job finished here.

Rose from Blue Mountains in Australia, moved to China 8 months ago, had been married for 40+ years and went stuff this, chucked him out, reevaluated what she wanted and moved on with her life, she is 68 years old.

And there was one other westerner who I did not get to meet.

Really interesting.



I was asked to compare USA to Australia.

One man who used the English name Lawrence knew our politicians well even down the fact the Kevin Rudd had a Chinese son in law.

We talked about the differences in uni life, part time work for students, political systems, the nature of people in Australia, teenagers, rich versus poor, living conditions, one child policies, having many children, teaching and learning differences in the two countries, the Commonwealth and how Australia was more British than USA.



Black Tiger Spring park has natural spring water gushing from fountains and people had brought down bottles and containers to fill up on this water.

There was also an area that had been sectioned off and was a swimming pool, people swimming laps and just enjoying.

Black Tiger Spring park is at the bend in the canal which runs all the way to Daming Lake.

The canal has a stunning river walk on each side.



Coffee with Rose was at Starbucks on QuanCheng Lu, there is a lovely upstairs section, I think free wifi.

So that is 4 real coffees this week!!!!!



Rose, real name Rosemary (I have to go all the way to China to meet Rosemary) has 7 children and most of them are musicians. We had a lot in common and we will meet again next Sunday at English corner.

I was nice to have another Westerner female for company and she felt the same way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Another WesternerAnother Westerner
Another Westerner

You stand someone and get surrounded by eager people. I had my photo taken many times, my eyes are beautiful they tell me! LOL
Swimming PoolSwimming Pool
Swimming Pool

Raised and sectioned off area for lap swimming. It's quite warm here, 25 degrees, not at all what i was expecting.
Me and the displayMe and the display
Me and the display

I have no idea why there are angels and musical instruments but thought it was a great photo spot.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb