Xi an,Shian,Chian,Zeean???


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 18th 2012
Published: October 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So after a great nights sleep we awoke pleasantly suprised to see some overnight rain had got rid of the smoggy haze that greeted is here on our arrival.We were actually able to see blue skies in China so headed out to make the most of it.

Breakfast was a huge bowl traditional lamb stew in the muslim quarter in which you have to crumble the heaviest bread ever into before devouring, no diets on this trip, that lamb stew cost a whole 4 yuan and ensured we were not hungry for a furthur 9 hours!!

Then we took to seeing the sights of Xi an by fot and motorbike taxi.

The Bell Tower, The Wild Goose Pagoda ,and The city walls were easily seen in a few hours where we spent most of our time watching the locals watching us!

You do get stared at here in China but for us its a bit strange as they really cant work out where Jina comes from (or what shes doing here)!! She gets more than me although i quite enjoy staring back , looking the locals up and down several times as they do to us, it usually makes for a lot of laughter from both parties thankfully!!

The second suitcase has now been purchased thanks to the kids present shopping in the evening at one of the local markets and malls, there is some good shopping here in China for sure.

The second day we were off to what was going to be one of the "highlights" of the trip, The Terracotta Warriors.

We set off to the north train station to get the bus , however we ended up way out oàf town at completely the wrong station thanks to a muppet at the metro station so backtracked by local bus (experience in itself ) and by pure chance the bus stopped at the station we needed.

Arriving at the Terracotta Warriors was a bit confusing but we were finally there, 150, yes 150 yuan entry, the most expensive admission ticket we have paid for was followed by a dull 1 and a half hours being jostled by chinese old ladies for photo positions and agressive touts all selling the same thing.

Seriously, we were very disappointed in the whole affair as it was the 1 thing we had came to Xi an to see, but hey ho.

We headed back to town and purchased our sleeper train tickets to Pingyao, hard sleeper only available so this will be an interesting night tonight!

Xi an a great "little" city but a few days here is enough and we need to head back towards Beijing for our flights next week.

Xi anTips-

best place for food, beer and a chat is the YHA hostel near the south gate, on the inside of the old town, cozy courtyard bar, pool table, cheap western beer , great western food (the most beautiful fruit salad ive ever seen) and very cheap international phone calls.Even all the staff speak english!!!

All the souvenirs being sold at stalls and shops across Xi an at 50 yuan+ can be bought in the small shops in the underpass underneath the bell tower for a set price of just 10 yuan!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th October 2012

Pleb ( and don't report me to police ( if you haven't seen our TV you have no idea what I am on about)
How could you not be impressed by what they achieved - changed my mind you are not my nephew after all !!
24th October 2012

PLEB?
Haha, i knew you would hate me for that, just that Xi an was a massive costly diversion for us and to be fair getting your slaves to make something for 30 years before you die isnt exactly difficult! The muslim quarter in Xi an is much more interesting!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb