Big Wild Goose Pagoda 大雁塔


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
October 3rd 2012
Published: December 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The PagodaThe PagodaThe Pagoda

Don't be fooled, you can't go inside unless you pay extra.
There are two Wild Goose Pagodas in Xi'an. I only visited the Big one.

On the south side of town, just outside the wall, the grounds can be divided into three parts: the pagoda (built in 642), the temple (also old but being restored), and the gardeny, parky, shopping area surrounding it.

The cost to get into the temple was 50 RMB and did NOT include admission to the pagoda; that's another 35 RMB, payable once you're inside the temple. The signs outside were a bit vague about this, and we didn't realize it until after we'd gotten inside the temple. Pretty sneaky, guys. The temple was beautiful and the Dutchmen and I spent quite a bit of time walking through and admiring the gardens and architecture. We opted to not buy admission tickets to the pagoda, though I'm sure the views would have been impressive.

The free area outside the temple was quite a bit of fun and rather expansive. Lots to see and do and eat and even a few places to sit and rest your weary feet. While my friends shopped for trinkets, I enjoyed a good deal of people watching and warm sunshine.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Like father, like sonLike father, like son
Like father, like son

I liked the people watching outside the pagoda and temple.
So much for "Don't walk on the grass"So much for "Don't walk on the grass"
So much for "Don't walk on the grass"

I liked the people watching outside the pagoda and temple.
Fountain FunFountain Fun
Fountain Fun

I liked the people watching outside the pagoda and temple.
He's really into this shotHe's really into this shot
He's really into this shot

I love this photo.
In the templeIn the temple
In the temple

I love this photo, too.
The pagodaThe pagoda
The pagoda

Different angle


Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 81; dbt: 0.2079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb