In Xi'an


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
September 5th 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Xi'an is a great place to unwind from the rigors of our adventures further south and west. We are across from the Drum Tower, right in the heart of the tourist area and next to the Muslum Quarter. We're taking it easy, seeing the sights and enjoying being in the city, for a few days before heading out to the terracotta warriors tomorrow and Mt. Hua the next day and then back to Beijing and home.

So far, we have sampled food in the Muslim Quarter as well as local Xi'an specialties, visited the art district which features paintings and calligraphy, biked around the old city wall 14 km in circumference, ventured out of town to the tomb of emperor Jingdi, and toured the Beilin Museum with over 1000 inscribed tablets including all the Confucian classical writings and many others of great importance to Chinese history.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Entrance to the Muslim QuarterEntrance to the Muslim Quarter
Entrance to the Muslim Quarter

The sign says "wave high the flag of love of country and love of faith".
Jacob explains Confucius's canon of filial pietyJacob explains Confucius's canon of filial piety
Jacob explains Confucius's canon of filial piety

Apparently the guy in the back is doing the same thing.


7th September 2010

beautiful city!
Well, it may have taken you days to get there, but Xi-an looks like a beautiful, intriguing city. I noticed that you didn't rave as much about the food here as in Urumqi. (You should know that I had to go out and get a melon after reading your blog!) It will be interesting to see whether the terracotta warriors are as fascinating as the city walls, Tibetan villages, and desert oasis - somehow, tourist destinations are usually never as memorable to me as the unexpected places found along the way...

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb