XIAN - WALLS DRUMS AND BELLS


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
September 21st 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

DUMB BELLDUMB BELLDUMB BELL

I go to take a picture of jack next to the bell and he moves out of view. I motion and say no man get in (meaning the picture0 so he stand in the bell - see what I have to put up with !
A fantastic last day in Xian before we head south into Sichuan province to see some amazing natural scenery.

WALLS - Today we travelled around the entire length of the city wall. It is a massive structure and apparently is the most complete ancient fortification anywhere in the world. It really is massive - a 12 metre high, 12 metre wide masonry wall, 4km on the north and south side and 3 east and west. We hired bikes for 20yuan and had a awesome bumpy hour and half workout seeing the city. There are gates, towers and buildings all over the wall as well as some seige engines on display.

DRUMS - For a late lunch we went to the Drum Tower, had a quick look and then found a little street side dinner. Again the food was fantastic - wontons, lamb skewers and xianbing two thin round pieces of bread fried and then with a thin layer of lamb and vegetable in between ( so nice)/ This cost $3 aus for the both of us - amazing.

BELLS - We then finally found the underground entrance to the Bell Tower. Another beautiful building and we were fortunate
STRONG FOREIGNERSTRONG FOREIGNERSTRONG FOREIGNER

is what I've been getting from everyone here must be because people are so skinny here
enough to hear a performance on bells and (forgive my ignorance0 five other traditional chinese instruments. the music was performed by teenagers and they were excellent, The music is very rhythmic and typical chinese sounding but played live you really feel the music as much as hear it. outside there was a huge bell ( i presume the original one from the tower) and you can ring it 3 times for 10 yuan - which I did.

a couple of thoughts on China. It has shown me a civilisation is built with layers. Australia's colonial history makes it very young and with few layers. This is why we hang so much of our identity on our sportmen and fallen soldiers. China is so old and each dynasty ads to the depth of the country. Just like the walls I stood upon - as a new power rises it adds to the heights of the structures of the last and takes possesion of it.

I'm not used to or comfortable with people hassling you to buy stuff, but once you get away from the tourist spots you realise this is these peoples lives. if i can help someone by
SIEGE WEAPONSIEGE WEAPONSIEGE WEAPON

timber spikes and a cart full of fire - nasty
buying water, an umbrella, some food, a cool kite or whatever then I'm doing it. Not once have I been ripped off or overcharged and people are genuinely happy to talk to you (the little they know) and like having you visit their storem,dinner, etc. Let's face it stuff is so cheap here - three of us just had dinner for 28 yuan ($5.50 aus)


Oh met a nice Belgian couple today who needed directions. They were suprised in Australia we had heard of Belgiuym. I was suprised they would think that - weird !



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

ONLY 66 YUANONLY 66 YUAN
ONLY 66 YUAN

or $10 aus amazing


22nd September 2009

Hey bro'
Hey Jon - looks like you're having a great time. Really enjoying checking your blog. You have become quite the introspective writer!! One question: How could they see through the telescopes if they haven't had a day of clear sky all year? I don't get it. Cheers from Red Canberra (had a big dust storm)

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb