Day 8 - July 8


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
July 9th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was a travel day from Beijing to Xi’an in Shaanxi Province. We woke up at 4 a.m. in order to have time to shower and pack up and be in the lobby by 4:50 a.m. We took our luggage to the lobby and received a box breakfast before we departed at 5:30 a.m. Our box contained a roll, jam, lunch meat (a lot like bologna), yogurt and a hard boiled egg. We left at 5:30 and arrived at the airport by 6:15 a.m. We said good bye to the Fulbright group who were travelling on to Chengdu. After checking in, we made our way to the security and temperature check, yet again. We boarded our flight at 6:50 a.m. and departed by 7:30 a.m.

We arrived in Xian by 10 a.m. and collected our luggage. There was some confusion with the guides who were meeting us, so we waited for about 45 minutes before we connected with the representatives in Xian. We took a bus from the airport to the hotel and arrived by 11:30 a.m. Thankfully we got a break before lunch time; we didn’t have to meet until 1:30 p.m. for our lunch trip.

We had a great lunch at a nearby restaurant and this time it was buffet. It was really a nice break not to have the lazy susan, the tiny plates (size of a saucer) and gobs of Chinese food that you may or may not like. Instead we had white rice, fried rice, curried cauliflower, cucumbers with garlic, noodles, cabbage, chicken and sweet/sour pork. Of course Matthew wanted more coke so we had to pay another 5 Yuan (75 cents).

After lunch we took the bus to First Railway School in Xian, where the American students from Hereford and Dulaney High School are staying. We were well received and given an opportunity to meet with the students and their hosts. Several Chinese students gave performances for us during the welcome reception. We heard a Chinese singer, a folk instrument player, a string player and a magician. The American students also shared their impressions of their stay in China. They arrived in May after Memorial Day and will be staying until July 18.

Dinner tonight was probably the most like a traditional Chinese dinner we have had on the trip. We went to a fusion restaurant which was filled with local
FIrest Railway SchoolFIrest Railway SchoolFIrest Railway School

8,000 students..no kidding!
Chinese. They had the “hot pots” which is like their version of fondue. Our table had 2 pots and we had a choice of either normal or hot/spicy. Sadly the people at my table opted for 2 pots of “normal.” The smell in the restaurant was less than appealing and it was also filled with several people smoking. I’m sure they had the AC on, however it was probably set at 80 something and then with all the pots simmering it was quite warm. The meal was set up buffet style so you could get veggies, appetizers, salad, cooked Chinese food or a wide variety of raw fish, seafood, meat, veggies and noodles to be cooked in the hot pot.

Matthew said he lost his appetite on the way in when he say the huge bowl of live eel swimming around, which you could select to have cooked to your liking. Matthew opted for a dinner of almost all dessert. I had fried rice, hot/spicy noodles, cucumbers in garlic, pork and more noodles that I cooked in the hot pot - I used the spice pot at a neighboring table. Many of the participants were grossed out by the mean and left early to go have KFC. We stayed and made the most of it since it’s just what you do…. The noodles were so hot and spice that my tongue and lips were tingly and felt numb. I ate 2 pieces of large meet which I thought was ham, but then Dick (Jane’s wife..no lie lol …dick and jane) had the same meat and cooked it in the hot pot. He swore it was tongue which really freaked me out because I already ate 2 giant pieces raw!!! He said, “What do you care, you were eating bugs at lunch!”

After dinner we left the restaurant and took a walk to the Bell Tower, in the center of the city and then on to the Muslim Market. It was another version of a night market, with stalls in the streets that sold food, items on a stick, nuts, fresh fruit, candied fruit, raw meat and a lot of items to be cooked on the grill. You could also find a host of novelty items that we have seen at many other shops such as bracelets, rings, jewelry, clothing, etc.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Xian at NightXian at Night
Xian at Night

See the old city wall, lit up all the way around.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb