Xi An - Day 90 & 91


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
June 6th 2007
Published: June 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Xi An with just enough time to squeeze in an afternoon bike ride around the ancient city wall. It was a lot of fun and the part when Pat's bike chain fell off and he almost landed in the hospital was pretty great too!! He's OK though... just a few bumps and bruises.

That night we had dinner in the Muslim quarter of the city. We were given a large piece of flat bread which we had to tear into tiny pieces and put in our bowl. They took our bowl away and added some lamb stew which the bread shreds soaked up. It was very tasty! We also has this delicious sour plum juice to help cool off the spice...

On our second day we woke up early and took a tour bus out to the Terracotta Warriors. Xian is most famous for the Warriors which are actually about 2 hours out of town. The Warriors were discovered in the 70s by an farmer that was drilling a well for irrigation. It's been a archaeological dig site ever since and they have uncovered the remains of thousands of warriors in many locations. Now the farmer shows up to work everyday and signs his autograph in souvenir books (apparently he doesn't like his job and does not allow his photo taken...). There are currently four pits for public view and each pit has soldiers at different levels of command. They are all guarding the tomb of Emperor Qin (Chin) of the Qin dynasty who died in 210 B.C. His tomb, along with all the treasures inside, have yet to be opened and revealed to the world. You can bet National Geographic will be at that tomb opening party....



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th June 2007

When is the book coming out?
... and, I call the first signed copy!!! Hugs- CAN'T WAIT FOR HAWAII!!!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb