Ni hao from the People's Republic!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangxi » jiujiang
September 21st 2009
Published: September 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well.

A big jetlagged and tired so apologies for nonsensical ramblings.

They rennovated the airport in the main city of the Renegade Province. Got some glam, lost some charm, but they still had free internet!

Once in Guangzhou had to pass through a quarantine check. All went well.

Of the foreigners walking around the airport, I'd say fully half were South Asian, maybe 15% African and the rest white folk. There was an African guy in a shiny gold-colored kutra with matching pants and a shaved head. I was impressed.

On the domestic flight to Nanchang they showed a cute little viedo right before the main meal. (Hey America, they have free food on 1.2 hour domestic flights in China!) There was a pig, a duck and a person. At first I thought it was going to be about the food. Instead, it was a cute little propaganda piece on H1N1 and how to combat it. Mostly really good advice- sleep well, wash your hands, cook your food, have a good attitude. They reminded folks at the end- "Although the epidemic situation is nervous, we should have a good mood."

They also passed out "moist turbans" to keep clean while eating. Beautiful.

Once in Nanchang a man was waiting for me with a big "Brendan Padraic O'Reilly" sign. He spoke almost no English ("Hello" and "OK") but insipired confidence with his driving skills, techno music, and whiltling ability.
He also bought me a huge meal. He made the eating motion and I said "jai" and "su shi"- which mean "vegetarian food". So we had deep fried saucy fish, cabbage, yummy tofu, egg soup, and rice. I could not finish it all, but I think I wasin't expected to. Classic traditional show of generosity.

Love the city so far. Perfect size. Reminds me a bit of Raiganj in West Bengal as far as the streets and crowding. A bit more built up however. Kinda smells like rural India here, hard to explain but reassuring.

Cool apartment, free internet, large kitchen, living area, bedroom, bathroom. All I could ask for. Supposed to be shown around tomorrow at 8:30. Got no shirt on and walking around my living space. I already feel at home!

Expect more tomorrow.

Advertisement



21st September 2009

welcome to tomorrow
Wonderful commentary, BPO. Sounds like this morning here: observing teen clothing customs, noticing reassuring smells, and reminding early morning school kids that "the epidemic situation is nervous, we should have a good mood."
22nd September 2009

well then
Welcome Home, says I. welcome right home. already telling us what you're wearing. not wearing... din waste no time.
22nd September 2009

Fantastic Journey
Everything sounds amazing. We love you and look forward to your next posting. Love You forever...Auntie Tamara and Family
24th September 2009

Great to hear everything is going well.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb