No Fatties Allowed


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Jiangxi » Nanchang
August 29th 2009
Published: August 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ahh. So its the end of my 4th day here in Nanchang. My sleeping schedule is still awry but today I didn't take that midday nap that I usually would have. This of course was particularly difficult because there was a raging storm, and stormy weather usually makes me wanna clunk out. I figure after this additon I will hit the sack.
The last two days have been both especially interesting and boring. First of all I got my medical approval to get my foriegn experts liscence. This little red book with my picture and all my very personal health information will allow me to retain a residence permit. Apparently, there were issues with John's ECG and he had to go back to get another test before they would approve his liscence. I decided to go along for the ride, because, hey there was nothing else better to do. Little did I know what a journey it would indeed be.
Jason, another Chinese English teacher took us back to immigration clinic to get the ECG and the blood pressure work done. The doctors were flipping out and told John that he had heart disease and would die very soon if not treated, and that he couldn't get a licensce. But they did suggest going to see a specialist before they made the ultimate decision.
So we treked to No.1 Nanchang Hospital (all the hospitals have numbers because they are government run) to see a cardiologist. Let me just tell you, this hospital was INSANE!!! There were all these farmers with these mysterious lumps on their necks, pregnant ladies dripping their way to give birth, old people with IV's smoking in the hospital!!! amongst many other oddities. I was a little put off, but I do suppose people get sick. right?
Well, the cardiologist does another ECG and confirms that John indeed will die and his arteries are clogged. In the meantime poor John is thinking he has wasted his good time and money to come here just to be turned around, and all he wants is a liscence. Apparently he has dropped weight before coming to China and also is involved in Tai Chi to correct his figure.
So the cardiologist (whom would not stop telling me how healthy and beautiful I was..hehee 😊 ) insists that to make absolute sure the readings are correct, to get get an ultrasound of the heart. So we trudge upstairs through the debauchery of sickness just to be told to come back in 2 hours. My heart sank as I realized that I would have to sit in this hospital for 2 hours and witness this medical masscare unfolding before me. Then by the grace of sweet God, the driver who was with us had other appointments and needed to take us back to campus to get another driver ( Thank you Jackie Chan lookalike!!) so we went back to campus to get another driver and have some lunch.
I thought I was off the hook and I was totally gonna go home (plus I'm fasting), until John guilted me into staying with him by telling me how nice I was to accompy him on this journey and he was so scared about not getting the liscence and so tired of people pointing, laughing and talking about him because of his fuller figure. So, after another bout of Jason's phone going dead and running around aimlessly to find a driver, we decided to take a taxi.
Now, this Taxi drive was by far the ride of my life folks!! This man was not playin' around. Jackie Chan lookalike took 35 minutes to get us back to campus this taxi driver took 12 minutes to get us back to the hospital!! There were moments I was scared for my life but he was such a pro weaving in and out of traffic that I just let him do his thing. There was a point where this man was even texting!!! I clapped for him as I exited the vehicle but he just looked at me as if I lost my mind. But that dude was a world class driver. Dale Earnhart Jr, eat your heart out!.
But anyways, back to Johns dillemma. So we went back for the ultrasound of John's heart and as they were gelling him up to do the ultrasound all of these random nurses and hospital aides rushed into the room to see the ultrasound and they were giggling and staring and being really rude. I wanted to cuss them out but I guess they are not used to seeing 300+lb people in China. It was an absolute side show for them. A little uncalled for if you ask me. but whatever. I mean I wasn't pointing and laughing at all the farmers with humps on their necks, well, actually I was shivering from pure amazement, cause that I have never seen before..so many of them..oh God..
And Jason was playing doctor by telling John that he's so fat and needs to diet and that the school can't be held responsible for him if he croacks. and that there is no way he could not have known he had heart disease before coming to China. Bottom line exists that the Chinese will tell you like it is shamelessly. If you're fat, watch out cause you're about to get your feelings hurt whether you asked for their opinion or not.
After the freakshow, we went back down to the cardiologist ( a different one this time not my baby-daddy) who for the 3rd time confirms that his arteries are clogged and he needs surgery soon and prescibes him 5 medicines to take.
At this time, John is devasted he thinks it is all over and that they are sending him home. So we had to go back to the Immigration clinic with all the information from the specialist for the final decision.
Another a less crazy taxi ride back to the Immigration clinic, Jason and the Consultant have about a 15 minute conversation about Johns health (in Chinese of course) while we were just sitting there. I was trying to figure out what they were saying by their expressions and it seemed like a lot of shit talking if you asked me with some condescing laughs attached to it. When John asked for a translation Jason just says 'Oh, I don't know. I guess we will see'. ?????... Then he proceeds to sign both of our Foriegn Expert Liscence!!! So we both got approved!! After 5 hours of all this drama, his liscence was waiting for him.... I was astonished, it seemed like a waste of time to me. But who knows, its probably just all bureaucracy.
But now thats all over with and John is here to stay I suppose.
Other than that, Nanchang has been somewhat a joy. Tonight I met the other English teacher named Shelley, she's from Miami Beach and seems like a delight. This is her second year back and she loves it apparently so after a long talk with her today I feel much more reassured about the job.
Also, my womanly reminder checked in last night so despite the cramping I was stoked that I didn't have to fast. I had the worse breakfast ever this morning. I guess Chinese don't do breakfast very well, that much is apparent. It was this egg dumpling or something, it wasn't that bad but it sure wasn't good. So I don't know I will try something else tomorrow.
I also met 3 Ghanians today on the School shuttle. They don't live on campus but go the school here and study Aeronautical engineering. 2 guys and a girl. I asked the girl if she could do my hair cause I noticed she had braids but she said she goes to Guandong to get her hair done which is a 12 hour train ride south... so I guess I will be doing my own hair. I was esctatic to see them and though I didn't get their numbers cause they just moved to town today I hope to see them on campus sometime and establish a repoire.
Its still hot, and my language book is helping me out splendidly. All the Chinese laugh when I try to speak to them in Mandarin, they think its amazing but they actually understand!. One girl was so impressed that I asked to buy a drink that she gave it to me! and despite their unexposure I'm sure they are nice people behind those eyes that are still constantly engaged with me. Its definitely a challenge to tell people where you need to go because even the ones who know English, really only know how to speak it because they sure don't know how to understand it. So I'm looking to enroll in Chinese classes when school actually starts.
Hopefully the storm has cooled things off some because it couldn't get any hotter than it has been the last few days. I look forward to more challenges tomorrow.
Zaijian


Advertisement



29th August 2009

Indeed an adventure
Seems like John is having his share of anxiety.. From luggage being lost to unnecessary anxiety over his heart. Poor guy....By the way is Tai cHAI classes offered there. Is that close to Judo or Karate? The chinese are known for herbal, tonic and what nots.. Perhaps for cramps, inquire on some holistic remedies.. R the storms long and fierce. In china do they bring more humidity.. Your skin will definitely beam...
29th August 2009

Hey Tifa
Oh ok. Now I get it. Nanchang looks like a nice, quiet city! Keep us posted when you start teaching!
29th August 2009

Poor John!
Poor John! Hope he's about to teach. Glad to see you're doing well and have met some other people of color. Its nice to be able to communicate with the Chinese people in the limited Mandarian you know and have them understand you! That's cool. Keep us regularly posted. Kiya
30th August 2009

Oh my...
Wow, Latifa, poor John. I am a bit speechless after reading that - but I suppose in the end he got the license, and all of our travelling mishaps are all part of the big experience and adventure, and only add to the whole of it. How many English teachers are there in total? Are other languages taught there as well? Do all the teachers live on the campus? Do you think it will drive you a bit insane after a while? I know about this crazy driving (it's like that all over Asia!). You have an awesome attitude so far and your a great writer! I look forward to your next post, and want to see more photos!!!! And I really want to see what your accommodation looks like. Have they told you anything in regards to your classes yet? Do you have materials provided? Syllabus? What is Zaijian? And that's really gross, by the way, about the pregnant woman dripping their way in to give birth. Yuck... thakns for the details! Miss you and love you - soak it all in... and share!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb