A piece of my personal journal and journey...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangxi » Guilin
September 28th 2009
Published: September 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A piece of my personal journal and journey....

"Today is the day we call Day One. Because today held the morning where we rose from our restless, peaceless night of sleep at the starting hour of 5 am to begin this adventure. Walking sticks in hand and our eyes adjusting to the still night light, we started walking. The early morning hours would show us the beauty that we would be surrounded by... limestone mountains jugging up without notice, twist and turns, ups and downs all with very green lushish trees and unripened fruit. Cow patties and dead frogs. These were the things I was taking in until I noticed the rain.

At first the drops of rain were not enough to slow our eager bodies down. Losing the battle, the weather finally drove us to an abandoned shed on the side of the road. Dirty, muddy and more than slightly smelly we stayed because we were soaked, wanted a coffee and really needed to poo. Poos on the side of the road while there's a typhoon with soggy TP and slippery footing is sometimes worth mentioning... even just so briefly.

After an hour or so it was time to move on. Apparently we covered 13km that first day, through little towns not visable on our maps, we trekked much further than I had planned for."

And then there came Day Two. Not nearly as much walking but still abundant with beauty. We walked down into the valley to follow the Li River. Our bumpy rocky road quickly turned into a very narrow path that lead us into Xing Ping. A welcomed bigger town with choices of restaurants and markets and of course tourist hagglers. Spending just enough time in the town, we made camp just on the river bank and gave a thank you to the heavens for our safety so far.

Now, the days have already rolled into themselves and even with my own writing I'm left slightly confused as to what happened where or when. I can tell you though that our backs are not yet broken, but our feet are sore. We arrived only 5 days after leaving Yangshuo we made it safely to Guilin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Day One of walking Day One of walking
Day One of walking

jealous yet?
Pomelo Anyone? Pomelo Anyone?
Pomelo Anyone?

we walked through orchards of Pomelo. The smell was so fresh
brushing your teeth is important!brushing your teeth is important!
brushing your teeth is important!

we might smell bad but we have clean teeth!


9th October 2009

Sweet
This is an awesome adventure. Make sure to take plenty of photos and keep us updated. Good luck.

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb