Fast train to Shenzhen


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Shenzhen
March 31st 2008
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.53, 114.13

Kate - We got up and caught two taxis to the train station - one taxi could not fit 4 people and the luggage for 4 people so Mel and Nana went together and a few minutes later, Pa and I went. The taxi had been driving for at least 5 minutes when I noticed a sign similar to the one that I could see from our hotel room. I look out the other side of the taxi and what do I see but our hotel. Because of the road system and one-way streets, it took us ages to just cross the road!!!! We arrived at the station and finally found each other. Nana went and purchased the tickets for the fast train to our next destination - Shenzhen. We then went through security and sat in the waiting room. Security was similar to the airport but - as effective???? - I'm not so sure. Everyone had to place their bags on the conveyer belt so they could be scanned. Bags went on top of bags and the people were pushing through so fast. It was hard to try and get the 6 suitcases, the laptop and 2 backpacks onto the belt before we got pushed through the security. It was then a scramble to get the luggage as the conveyor belt was quite short and the items were all falling to the floor and piling up on each other. We made it through with a huge sigh of relief. We sat until we heard the boarding call for the train. The gates then opened so we could walk to the train.

We followed the crowd and Pa took off with a flying start. We were on carriage D - down the other end of the station. He started to walk and never once looked back until he was at the carriage. Nana had stopped to check with someone if we were in the right place, as the announcements seemed to be saying a different train number. We were on the incorrect platform and we had to hurry down the escalator to the correct platform. Unfortunately Pa had kept walking, so I had to go running up the platform to find him and tell him we needed to be elsewhere. "I knew it was the wrong platform, but I was told to go, so I went" was the response I got. The whole trip, as we would walk in our group, I would continuously make sure that we had not left anyone behind - very easy to do when something catches your attention so you stop to look!!!. Pa obviously didn't believe in doing this.

We headed off to the correct platform but someone else said to just get on this train. When you buy the tickets, you are allocated seat numbers so it's not as easy as just getting on the train. We started to walk back down the platform when Nana spotted the dining car. We made the great decision of jumping on board here and getting a drink. We had nice seats, a table in between us and our luggage very close by.

The train had a sign that showed the speed of the train and the internal and external temperature. We reached 202km at one stage.

We arrived at the station and followed the "TEXI" sign. The queue of taxis was amazing. There was someone telling you which taxi to get into and to make sure the queue kept moving. We again caught the two taxis to our hotel and arrived safely at our hotel - sounds strange thing to say but with the way they drive here, it is amazing to arrive safe.

We went for a walk around Shenzhen and ended up at the Shenzhen Maccas - it is the first McDonalds in Mainland China. There was the small ice cream counter downstairs. Here you can buy Sundaes, Shakes and Soft Serve Cones. Upstairs is the longest McDonalds counter I have ever seen - probably three times the size of Pakenham's store. As soon as they saw us there, they bought out the English menu. Despite the fact it was in 'our language' it was still hard to read. We could work out the various products but working out if they had meal deals and if they were the same as ours was harder to work out. Sign language is a wonderful thing and we were able to order lunch.

Maccas food - amongst the usual Big Macs, you could find Hot Taro and Hot Banana Pies; cups of popcorn (Corn Kernels); Sundaes in either white, chocolate or white and chocolate swirled together; Vegetable Soup and Chicken Drumsticks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb