Chinese New Year's Eve - Jan. 24, 2009


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
March 15th 2009
Published: March 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Passing new year's eve in Guangzhou (GZ) wouldn't be complete without a visit to its "Hua Jie (Flower Streets)." Not all Chinese cities do this. It is unique to GZ and happens just before the first day of Chinese new year.

Colorful pinwheels, "Niu (ox)" ballons, plastic niu floats, and lil' mandarin orange trees - Beijing Lu, located in "Old GZ," was filled with an endless sea of people. Were it not for my friend, Millie, I would've been elbow jousting my way through the crowds most of the evening. Instead, she found quick ways to manuever in and out of crowds. We easily wind our way through swarms of people streaming from different directions. No jousting necessary.

Eyed what I thought were lemons with "tumours." Was told that the tumours represented each generation in a family. Locals buy it to symbolize the wish that all family members remain close and in continuity (continuing generations).

Throughout the night, I found myself laughing, at ease, flowing with the sea of friendly faces, and relaxin' in an orderly chaos. Bought dragonfly and butterfly pinwheels from some middle school students. This is their time of year to make an extra yuan or two.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb