A weekend in China - Guangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
March 11th 2009
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

They say it is factory-ville, and polluted, but actually I disagree and I loved it! Here's what I got up to on my weekend of fun in Guangzhou with friends.

It all started a little too early on a Saturday morning with a two hour train from Humg Hom (Hong Kong) to Guangzhou (China), for $190. Once off the other end we had a soggy walk to our hotel. We'd gone for the budget option but it was fine, and we managed the language barrier quite well.

For the first jaunt into Gunagzhou we headed down to the metro, and traveled across to a little place called Shāmiàn dǎo, a small island full of greenery and quiet streets to wander. We enjoyed the walk there as well, passing through small side streets and food markets, lined with people playing cards awaiting customers. There was always something interesting to see. The streets had wires everywhere, set amongst the bright leaves of the trees, which were really noticeable after lack of 'green' in Hong Kong. There were some tiny dingy looking houses, and then new developments happening opposite.

We had some fantastic dim sum for a fraction of the price we pay in Hong Kong, and in my opinion it was better! I once read that one of the top things to do in China is to have dim sum in Guangzhou, and I'd agree it was a good yumcha! Over the two days, we went to two recommended dim sum restaurants, and both were fantastic.

On Saturday we ventured out to experience the Guangzhou night life...which was interesting. I was a fan of the live music, but slightly put off by the intense Chinese guards wearing hats and all looking very serious at the side! The decor was slightly questionable as well...whether the club had "special" parts for some guests, I am not sure! Regardless, we had a great night out! It was also a different concept to Hong Kong bars. Rather than buy a drink, it's the norm to buy a bottle of spirit and take it to your table, and order cans of mixers!

Sunday dim sum was followed by a walk round a very pretty park with a large lake. We had a nice stroll, came across more card players, a fun fair, an old lady singing into a microphone, and some mini karts which we had a go on!

Then, two more hours on a train and back to reality in Hong Kong - a good little holiday!
I failed to see the negative things that people moan about when to referring to Guangzhou - I was a fan! I'm keen to go back and shop, and get a massage. China also has the advantage of some good bargains!

J x


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

A very bizarre club in guangzhouA very bizarre club in guangzhou
A very bizarre club in guangzhou

You may think this is contemporary art or a funky light.....think again.


6th September 2009

welcome back to here again
glad that you was happy about the time you spent in GuangZhou which is getting better and greener as the Asian Games will be held here in 2010,a lot of things in Guangzhou which may probably more interesting than what you had seen during your last journey are waitting for you to discover,welcome back again ,my friend
8th September 2009

Thanks
Thanks, maybe I will go again in the future

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb