Old Canton


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
September 28th 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Entering China from Macau was a lot less hassle than entering from Vietnam had been, and my RG was unmolested by customs. Our intended destination was Yangshuo, meaning we had to bus it to Guangzhou first and then change. Unfortunately we arrived in Guangzhou too late for anything other than a sleeper bus connection - since Chinese sleeper bus berths were apparently designed for hobbits, we decided to stay the night then catch an early bus.

Guangzhou was sprawling, crowded, and polluted. There were plenty of foreigners floating around, including a surprising number of black people - more than I've seen since I left New York. Even so, it was strange to rediscover our novelty value, with Chinese adults and children alike all giving us a second glance.

The following morning we were on a bus to Yangshuo. The "lunch" break came at 11:15AM. Since neither of us was hungry then, we took the free meal that was included in the ticket price with the intention of eating it later. The bus hostess tried to stop us getting on the bus with food, which we circumvented by the simple expedient of putting the takeaway boxes in our bags before boarding. Needless to say, every other passenger on the bus was chomping and slurping away, with the couple in front of us having a feast of chicken feet.

After an 8 hour journey, we were in Yangshuo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb