Last night of freedom


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
August 26th 2007
Published: August 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the brevity of my last blog entry - Nicky, Katrena and I were under strict instructions to get our “lilywhite arses” downstairs to meet our batch for a shopping trip at 11:00am sharp and I was still frantically trying to attach photos to the blog at 11:15am (only Katrena's genius with computers saved our aforementioned hindquarters). We've only been in China for about 36 hours and we've already delayed our batch three times. The Guangzhou Girls have been renamed the “Gang of No-Show Girls”.

We’re staying on Shamian Island, a tiny strip of land that is tethered to the city of Guangzhou. Although the island is as humid as a teenager's groin and as polluted as a fallen woman (you could contract emphysema from the smoke in our hallway alone), we love it. We've already bought toothpaste that cleans your teeth and cools your car engine at the same time.

Our hotel is called The White Swan, but it really should be renamed the White Stork or the Wailing Cygnet, because it's choc-a-block with babies. The hotel’s operators seem to cater exclusively to bambinos - renovation work stops every day during official nap time and the children’s playroom used to be sponsored by Mattel (until it was recalled).

This evening, our batch went out to a restaurant and ate - you guessed it - Thai. What else would you eat in China? Check out the group photo and see if you can detect the sheer terror we are all desperately trying to repress.

I have to admit, I’m as nervous as a virgin in a room full of sailors. It’s 3:00am on Handover Day and I haven't slept a wink. (That’ll teach me to buy sleeping pills at the knock-offs and counterfeits stall.)

When next we speak, I’ll be a MILB - Mothers I’d like to Blog.


Advertisement



27th August 2007

whaaaaaaa. the suspense is killing me.
27th August 2007

Keep Smiling!
Hey Caz, glad to see you've retained your sense of humour - this will be your most valuable asset over the next 18 years (or even, the next 6 weeks!). Hope it all goes well, enjoy the exciting adventure of Life! Cheers, Leese

Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0928s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb