Goodbye Guangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Guangzhou
August 30th 2005
Published: August 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Why fly?

It almost seems like a waste to fly the 80 miles or so from GZ to HK, but what we hear is that if we took the train, we'd have to remove our luggage, walk it across the border and then load it on another train...by ourselves. So, the smart thing would be to fly! :)

Another cat loverAnother cat loverAnother cat lover

Well, this confirms that Sarah likes cats. That makes two of us! But, one Stacey still outvotes two of us! :)
With Sarah’s travel visa approved and our swearing an oath at the U.S. consulate, we are now ready to say good-bye to China…well, at least the China that doesn’t include Hong Kong. It’s a strange situation: HK, which was once a British colony, is now a part of China politically, but it still uses a different currency, and travelers out of China need to pass through customs to go to HK. Even our guide, when trying to explain why returnees to the U.S. through HK need to pass through customs twice, just shook his head and said, “Don’t ask me. I don’t even understand it.” Well, whatever…we’re leaving mainland China tomorrow morning.

Guangzhou has been wonderful to us. The weather has been cooperative (at least in that it didn’t rain), the food’s been scrumptious, the hotel’s been magnificent, Godfrey did some family root-digging, and most importantly, Sarah and we have gotten to know and appreciate one another a lot more. It’s been a steep bonding curve, and we’re so glad the first week has passed with HUGE progress. The Sarah of August 30 does not resemble the Sarah of August 22 at all, thank G!

In addition to Baby
Flat footed?Flat footed?Flat footed?

Sarah wishes she were flat-footed too, so that she could wear cool orthodics like baba!
Boo-Boo, we’ve gotten to some people in our adoption group quite well, and we’re looking forward to seeing them again. They are wonderful people who truly love the L and love children, and want to make a difference for his kingdom, literally one person at a time. Some of them even remind us of some of you (and that’s a good thing)! If we come back and speak with a slight southern twang, well, y’all will know why (and it ain’t cuz of southen’ China, bubba!).

Today we actually slept in, for once. Baby Sarah was the first one to wake up at 7:45 and began to sound the alarm for mama and baba to wake up too. Frankly, I’d rather wake up to soft classical music (which I do at home) than a baby wailing like a classic rocker. But, it is effective and we never snooze on her.

Actually, the whole sleeping thing is an area where we’re not making progress very quickly. She still would rather fall asleep with mama, and when we finally do put her down in the crib (after we’re sure she’s asleep), she always, and I mean always, wakes up! She
Doing curlsDoing curlsDoing curls

Check out those bulging biceps! She can curl 50 oz. at a time!
hates the crib and always has a mini-meltdown. But we’ve learned to deal with it and let her cry herself to sleep. We’re pretty ruthless about not letting her sleep with us. One, it’s not safe—she can fall off easily or we can crush her since we’re high rollers. Two, we can’t sleep well with her next to us. Yup, the whole going-to-sleep-and-waking-up routine is probably the most stressful time in our relationship with her. Unfortunately they also should be the quietest times of the day. Sigh…

We love this baby so much. She is a joy to hold, behold, and uphold. She puts a smile on our face that we’ve never had before. I (Godfrey) just had the most hilarious moments with Sarah tonight: she and I discovered that she enjoys playing “bedsled”. This is how it works: she lies down on the bed, I grab her calves, and drag her around at high speed, simulating the twists and turns of a bobsled track. (don’t worry, it’s not that fast!) Her expression is so funny! I just doubled over laughing hysterically! Stacey, who was focused intensely on packing our bags, was only mildly amused. 😞 She has a
Spicy Girls Rule!Spicy Girls Rule!Spicy Girls Rule!

We are among the 11 families who adopted out of Hunan province (there were three other province groups). Our girls are known as the "Spicy Girls".
pretty silly husband.

OK, it’s bedtime for the Homies…actually, Stacey and Sarah are snoring away as I write this…again! Good night! Until we meet again in Hong Kong…the L bless y’all!


Advertisement



30th August 2005

so happy!
hi again! wow, reading this blog and seeing the pictures fills me with joy! i'm sooooooooo happy for the three of you! and again, i'm prying for you to be safe and healthy, and again, i can't wait to meet sarah! c h r <3 i s t, mei
30th August 2005

VERY, VEry, very HAPPPY!
Wow! It just seemed like yesterday when you took off from China, and now you're coming back!! I just twisted my neck so it's taking a long time to write this. We are all pr--ing for you that you'll come home safely and healthy. I'm talking the most about you guys and Sarah at home. I just get so excited about new babies being born and/or adopted. I just can't WAIT :) to see Sarah!!! I be back in school next week and can't wait to tell the Markmillers about your journey to Sarah! -ashley
31st August 2005

Friends
Hi Boo-Boo...From the "Spicy Girls Rule!" picture, it looks like you've made a friend. I hope that friend is a girl, otherwise, Baba...did you regulate? hahahaha...remember, the first boyfriend is a sacrifice and the rest will be considered! She looks so happy and comfy with you two now. I'm glad she's a cat lover!!!
31st August 2005

Praise!
Sorry about the blank comment. Thank you for sharing your joy with us! We cant wait to meet sarah in person! Love in Chrst, George, Gail, and Jennifer
31st August 2005

praise the L
every new blog i read still fills me w/ that same sense of joy! ah, i am just so excited and happy for you guys...i DEFINITELY can't WAIT to get home and meet sarah and see you guys again!
1st September 2005

Mew mew
Godfrey, she is your perfect daughter - a cat lover!!! Too bad majority doesn't rule in your house... I'm still hoping one day sweet Sarah will introduce Stace to the joys of being owned by a cat... hee hee hee. Miracles can happen, right? Someday Sarah will bring home a kitten as a Mother's Day present and Stacey won't be able to refuse it from her Ah boo boo. Hee hee hee... Safe journey home! See you at the retreat (ha ha ha ha).
1st September 2005

What funny stories
I really enjoyed reading your stories with Sarah. How she gets her little bumps and bruises, sleeping issues, etc. We were pretty bad about letting Austin cry to sleep at night, so we would hold him until he fell asleep in our arms (Wes started that bad habit) AND when we transferred him into the crib (usually successfully), if he started crying again, we would pick him up and the whole process would start up again (talk about spoiled!). Sometimes, it would take over an hour to get him down, but no worries, Austin doesn't have any sleeping problems. As a matter of fact, he goes takes nap or to bed on command without any problems. Sarah has continued to bloom over the very short time she's been with you two. It's so amazing so see that bond form so instantly. She looks like a very social child and will adjust so well into her new environment. she'll like meeting everyone at where you work. I like those little games that she plays with you as she makes herself crack up. Isn't it so funny when kids just keep doing the same "funny" thing over and over and laugh so hearty afterwards? You end up cracking up because she's cracking up and then she cracks up some more because you are- now that's a good catch 22. I have enjoyed reading your journey through China. We can't wait to see you when you get back. Happy trails!

Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb