Day Six...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Guangdong » Foshan
July 20th 2009
Published: July 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are getting used to noodles and rice for breakfast although none for Rosie Amey and Sophie Chant who joined in with the military training - the Chinese Air Force are here working with the students of Nanhai School.

The day began deceptively coolly but by the mid afternoon temperatures had soared.

We learned words for directions and colours in our Chinese lesson at 9.30 am. We can now find out where the nearest Mc Donalds is and order a hamburger and chips in any colour!

In Art, the charismatic Mr Liang showed us how to turn our bent bamboo sticks in to colourful artistic Chinese lanterns (in some cases anyway). Keegan and Ryan could earn a living here with theirs; very artistic. Mrs Nitek and Mrs Stevens continue to compete for the teacher's attention, keen as they are to improve their artistic skills. Maisie is a touch frustrated by the unwillingess of bamboo or tissue paper to respond to her wishes.

Lunch was good and becoming less strange to us. Everyone is eating things now that they would never have looked at before, even when they don't know what it is.

Kung-Fu after lunch Johnny excelled once again, but the high point was definitely Mrs Stevens holding a perfectly posed Kung-Fu move whilst the teacher looked on admiringly. I'm not sure that the pink flowery skirt is quite the required dress for martial arts training though. We taught the Chinese some English today and they are certainly was ahead of us and eager to learn more.

We also ventured out to a giant supermarket called Lotus in downtown Nanhai; lots of rickshaws and local characters. They stare a lot and don't understand how pedestrian crossings work. We survived though and returned with supplies for our exciting overnight train journey to Guilin tomorrow.

All safe happy and well, night night.

PS. This may be our last post for a few days unless we find an internet cafe!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



20th July 2009

cant believe mrs stevens!
cant believe she would say such things about me and frustatration! haha! its too true for me to be upset about it!
20th July 2009

some people are eating new things but most of us girls are still eating the same old bread and rice!!
20th July 2009

lush pick miss!!!!!!!! look like your loving it!!
20th July 2009

I wish i was the kung fu teacher in that picture.
20th July 2009

For Jonny and Sophie
Glad to hear your both well and enjoying yourselves. Love from us both.
20th July 2009

Hey Chloe, Sounds like you are having a great time and we are loving the pics on the blog - get yourself in a few more!!! Joe is missing you and still thinks you're in town or staying at Abis and the house is quiet without you - lovely!!!! Keep trying the food - bet you would die for some nice buttery new potatoes right now or maybe a little something from Star East perhaps.......xx Keep in touch we miss you but love hearing about what you are all doing. And tell Domm and Abb that the pics of them are lovely!!!! Love you loads xxxx Mum and Dad Poppy Emily and Joe
20th July 2009

strike a pose
Great blog love the pictures especially Mrs Stevens . Enjoy Guyllin and Hong Kong The Amey's
21st July 2009

Message from 8HAC
'sup Johnny it looks like your having a good time... GOLD SHOES??? make sure you bring us some gifts. are you going to go kung fu on our tutor from everyone in hac ps robbie g wrote this
21st July 2009

I hope you put your deodorant on Mrs Stevens!!
21st July 2009

hey johnny
heyya johnny, did you really get gold shoes??? dont forget the present you promised to get me for poker night!! i cant belive your good at kung foo!!! (well you had to be good at something!!) when you get back give me a call and you can show me and santon a few moves! apparently english students got stuck in quarentine!!! at first i thought (crayola hoped) that it was you! schools suckish and boreing without you doing what you do best..... be a loud idot lol. i bet mcdonalds was the onley thing you managed to eat (your helpless with chopstiks). robbies jealose you get to go to his homeland lol. p.s robbie thinks you look stupid in a flat peak, and brandon called you fat c-ya homeboy marmite a.k.a ryan p.p.s free tibet!!
22nd July 2009

looks amazing
Looks like you are all having an amazing time ,hope you got loads of photos ,keep on enjoying yourselves,Stephen is now home and is missing jonny and sophie ,be seeing you soon xx

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb