Day in Chongqing


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Chongqing
September 13th 2007
Published: September 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

River ViewRiver ViewRiver View

Cranes also littered the skyline in Chongqing.
Taking the train to Chongqing was another long ride, so we opted for the hard sleeper. It was much more comfortable than the hard seat - I was actually able to sleep!

We arrived at Chongqing around 9am. It was raining lightly. The station was chaotic getting out; luckily the tour group that we signed up with had someone meet us at the train station. We went back to the tour office, settled up the bill for the cruise, dropped off our bags and had 9 hours to kill in the city. We were both getting a little hungry, so we headed out to find some food. During our trek we were able to see many interesting things in the city.

The city is undergoing huge development everywhere. In the inner city centre there were many buildings that were reduced to rubble. While many sites were in the process of putting up new, larger buildings. I was very surprised when I heard the population of the city. The inner downtown core has about 9 million - the greater area of Chongqing has roughly 30 million!!! That's hard to belive when you think that Canada only has about 33 million...
Hard SleeperHard SleeperHard Sleeper

It was a tight squeeze, but once I got into the bed, it was quite comfortable! 6 beds were in one area.


At 8pm we had to be back at the tour office so that we could board the boat that we would be using to cruise down the Yangtze River. In a few days I would be looking at massive gorges and the grand finally - The Three Gorges Dam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

WaterfallWaterfall
Waterfall

This waterfall was at the base of the hotel.
Old and newOld and new
Old and new

A few buildings in the centre of the city were very old and run down. Construction has begun for most of them. The buildings in the background give you an idea of what will be built.
Shopping MallShopping Mall
Shopping Mall

This shopping mall was right in the middle of the city square.
ConstructionConstruction
Construction

Another large bridge being built to cross the busy river.
A delicious mealA delicious meal
A delicious meal

This was a noodle soup with onions and chile peppers. Soup + Beer = $1 :)
Party BoatParty Boat
Party Boat

This boat was really lit up. We were a little angry that our boat was decorated like this one.
Ducks and ChickensDucks and Chickens
Ducks and Chickens

This picture was taken in the local supermarket. You can choose your bird, then they'll prepare it for you to take home. A little different from Loblaws...


Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb