08.16.08 School


Advertisement
Asia » China » Chongqing » Chongqing
August 15th 2008
Published: August 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As I promised, this blog will describe the school. School still does not start for another week. This week, we are preparing our classrooms and going through orientation. The only teachers here so far are the Chinese teachers/parapros and an Australian teacher for the 3-4 year old class. The Australian teacher is in Chongqing because her fiancé works for the Hilton here. All of the teachers ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




16th August 2008

Wow! I am so amazed! Everything sounds so great over there. I am glad to see that you are fainting. Only 'cool' people like me and you faint unexpectedly.
18th August 2008

Exciting
Wow Jocelyn, I cannot imagine all the stuff you're going through! I'm sorry you fainted. How well do you feel supported there? I hope they're treating you well. Your blog is fun to read :) Those pictures are a trip, kind of like subliminal messaging or something! But they're nice at least. Keep the up-dates coming!
29th August 2008

Nice Classroom
What a large and beautiful classroom and school. Seems funny that in a country of 1.3 billion that the school is so big with so few students. The facilities look so new and well taken care of. What is the story of the flags in the foyer? Do they represent the students (flags from Russia, Sweden, France, Germany etc) at your school? I thought it was interesting to see the signs in English outside your apartment. Keep the updates coming; your writing is very interesting and informative.
29th August 2008

Helen at CC
Jocelyn: One hint our daughter and son-in-law used when in Shanghai was to collect business cards everywhere they went. Most have the address in English and Chinese...at least in Shanghai they did...this way, they could just show the taxi driver where they wanted to go and like you said...have your own address written in Chinese to show them. They had a big business card book filled with cards by the time they left Shanghai. Lots of luck. Before you know it you will be telling the driver exactly where to go. Is it Mandarin or Cantonese spoken there?
6th September 2008

avaconflava@yahoo.com
You have the cutest classroom! I would let the kids decorate. Maybe you could get coloring books filled with animals from around the world for them. I say you're never too old to color! Perhaps an oragami book would be even better. Def. don't know if I agree with the usage of two names like we talked about before, but I would have to get more info. on the background history and social impact on it to decide for sure. It is a beautiful area! I love the greenery! *HUGS!!!* *Ta Déesse*
7th September 2008

Computers
Do you do much work in the computer lab? Are the computers made in China or the west. Are the keyboards standard or a combination of western/Chinese? Are the computers hooked to the internet and if so do they have world-wide access?
10th September 2008

Mandarin is spoken here. Thx for the advice!
10th September 2008

We have computer class twice a week. I am also the only teacher with student computers in my room, so now that I am losing a student we could just work in the classroom. We have only standard keyboards. They have chinese software that turns pinyin into the chinese characters. All of our work is done in English though so that is not much of a problem. We have all HP and Dells. The operating systems on the Dells are US, but the HPs are chinese.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb