Chengdu Zoo


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan » Chengdu
September 25th 2007
Published: September 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Asian ElephantsAsian ElephantsAsian Elephants

The elephant in the background is the largest male Asian elephant in captivity (I think I'm remembering that correctly...). Since the males can be so dangerous, no one goes within trunk-reach of this big guy.
We had the unique opportunity to receive a personal tour by a zoo veterinarian. A friend of my brother and sister-in-law's has been a vet at this zoo for two years and he is the only Western zoo vet in all of China. (This is also his last week there as he is planning to go into private practice where he can offer more of his services to farmer's in need of vetrinary care to keep their animals (and their subsistance) alive.

We learned all kinds of interesting facts, and laughed at the animals reactions to him as some of them recognized him.

Since we are going to the Panda Reserve on Friday, we'll save the panda photos for then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

SheShe
She

No one goes near him...except for her
A moment  A moment
A moment

I love these scenes that remind us we are...in China!
Feeding the fishFeeding the fish
Feeding the fish

These guys go a bit crazy for the food
Open mouth insert ???Open mouth insert ???
Open mouth insert ???

I think these fish have a rich diet of...whatever people are eating at the time.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb