#50 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Beijing, Temple of Heaven)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
August 15th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tripple-roofed templeTripple-roofed templeTripple-roofed temple

The proportions offer perfection and harmony.
The Temple of Heaven represents the highest development of religious architecture in China. Though religious rituals have been held on this spot as far back as the 11th Century B.C., this temple of perfection and harmony was constructed by the Ming Dynasty in the year 1420, some 70 years before the liberation of Spain by Ferdinand and Isabella from the Moors, and the sailing of Columbus from the Sevilla.

The temple was vitally important to the imperial universe, as it was the link between emperor and heaven. From here the emperor would make his report to heaven.

The altar was acoustically designed to help the emperor's words reach the cosmos. The altar magnifies the voice of the speaker standing in its center, but only the speaker can hear this magnification. The altar was built with rows of marble slabs in multiples of the number 9. Remember, the number 9 is the most auspicious number for the Chinese. The first row has 9 large slabs, the second 18 slabs, and so on.

Here, after a procession from the Forbidden City, the emperor would make sacrifices and pray to heaven and his ancestors at the winter solstice. As the Son of Heaven, the emperor could intercede with the gods on behalf of his people. Just as importantly, he would pray for a good harvest. The common people were not permitted on this holy ground, though today it is a place where many elderly congregate to practice tai ji, and entertain each other with Chinese instruments and beautiful song, and play cards. :-)

The one of its kind 3 tiered-roof-structure has an aura of serenety, and is one of Beijings most recognized landmarks. The over 50,000 blue tiles symbolized the color of heaven, and the circular roofs symbolized the sky. The color red is also considered one of the imperial colors.

The hall is entirely built of wood, without using a single nail or cement. Without the huge marble stone base, it reaches a hight of 125 ft. The marble tiered elevation makes the sight even more dramatic.

The three roofs of the hall are supported by 28 highly decorated wooden columns. The 4 most impressive columns represent the 4 seasons, the 12 outer columns represent the months of the year, and the upper 12 support columns represent the divisions of the day, and again, no nails were
The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests...The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests...The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests...

...represents the highest development of religious architecture in China.
used.

After having been struck by lightning, the hall was completely restored by 1889, and since no trees large enough could be located in China for use as the Dragon Fountain Pillars, they were imported from Oregon in the U.S.

The entire complex is situated in a pleasant park, with trees providing shade from the summer heat, and tranquility for those who walk one of China's most historical religious sites.

At this point of my China Adventure, Arthur and I are preparing to leave for Tibet, on the new train-line linking Beijing and Lhasa. It will surely be a journey filled with surprise and wonder, and it may take some time to present the photos and commentary after our return.

At the end of our stay in Tibet, we are heading to the province of Chengdu to visit the Wolong Nature Reserve where the Giant Panda Breeding Research Base is located. It appears to be an exiting journey, and I'll keep precoupious notes and take many photos.

To all of my family, my friends and my students at Coral Gables High School, I wish you a wonderful positive beginning to the new school year. It
The golden finial on top of the hall...The golden finial on top of the hall...The golden finial on top of the hall...

is 125 feet high and very prone to lightning strikes.
feels very strange not being part of the new year and I miss everyone very much. All of you are often on my mind, and hope you will stay with me on this special journey through China.
So many have sent me greetings and wishes, and I will attempt to contact you individually upon the return from Tibet and my visit with the Pandas. My love to everyone!

.

.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Arthur was proud to share Arthur was proud to share
Arthur was proud to share

one of China's treasures with me.
It is easier to understand the size...It is easier to understand the size...
It is easier to understand the size...

of the Hall when seen with the people around it.
interiorinterior
interior

It is not possible to enter the interior, but I had a chance to sneek this photo. The columns are single trees from Oregon.
Other structures surround the Hall..Other structures surround the Hall..
Other structures surround the Hall..

and now house artisan shops.
Reconstruction in parts of the complexReconstruction in parts of the complex
Reconstruction in parts of the complex

in anticipation for the 2008 Olympics
surrounding parksurrounding park
surrounding park

Check out the shaping of these "planetary" stones.


14th August 2006

Dear Hans. What a wonderful experience you are enjoying!!! We are with each step of the way through your writings. Thanks for taking us with you!!Amado and I are in New York. I don't have with me your e-mail address. Hoping to hear from you soon. Love, Sonia
14th August 2006

aww, pandas! send one over!
14th August 2006

Hey Schneider, today was our first day of school. And while the lady is very nice and looks like she'll be a good teacher, she is still no Mr. Schneider. Just commenting here to show some love! Missing you tons, especially now that school started. Keep one enjoying the world. Ciao.
14th August 2006

first day of school
schneider,today i walked into class and my eyes got teary eyed. its torture not having you. schneidi-poo i miss not having you. schools sooo gross noww. COMEEEEE BACKKKKKKKK !
15th August 2006

Hey Schneider, im very glad ur having a great time in China, well here on the other side of the world, school already started and boy its weird to have german without you...HEY! by the way, ur looking thinner than usual, i think i should go to china myself=) well take care, hope you're well, Nicole J.
17th August 2006

Happy day in Beijing
Dear Hans, I'm glad to see that you and Arthur Lee visit Tiananmen Square and other places very happily. I think now you are in Tibet. Happy Journey to you and arthur. Yours Ji Baihua Taizhou People's Hospital
26th August 2006

SCHEINEDYYYY POOOO!!!!!!!! ich liebe dich zu viel :) WE MISS YOU!!!

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb