#84 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China (Beijing: The Ming Tombs, Part II: The Tombs and Chambers)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing
September 19th 2007
Published: September 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The emperors of China were called "The Sons of Heaven" and their journey into the beyond was of special concern from the moment of their coronation. It had been so for thousands of years, as imperial tombs can be visited around China's former imperial cities, most still to be unearthed and opened. Traditions make the Chinese reluctant to speak about death, and their culture has survived man... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Behond this Spirit Tower is an earthen mound, surrounded by a circular rampart, that covers the stone burial chamber.Behond this Spirit Tower is an earthen mound, surrounded by a circular rampart, that covers the stone burial chamber.
Behond this Spirit Tower is an earthen mound, surrounded by a circular rampart, that covers the stone burial chamber.

To enter the burial chamber, it is necessary to climb on steep stone stair to the top of the Spirit Tower.
Ancient trees are growing from the ramparts, and have watched visitors climb its steps for centuries.Ancient trees are growing from the ramparts, and have watched visitors climb its steps for centuries.
Ancient trees are growing from the ramparts, and have watched visitors climb its steps for centuries.

Climbing the surrounding ramparts to the top of the Spirit Tower leaves a visitor breathless.
Protected from the bad winds of the North by mountains.Protected from the bad winds of the North by mountains.
Protected from the bad winds of the North by mountains.

The view from the top of the Spirit Tower leads our eyes to the protective mountains of the North. From here we can also see more of the above-ground constructions of the 13 Ming Tombs.
The view from the Spirit Tower behind me is serene.The view from the Spirit Tower behind me is serene.
The view from the Spirit Tower behind me is serene.

From the top of the Spirit Tower, we can now climb down into the only excavated tomb chambers of this Ming Dynasty cemetery.
Stairs leading into the tomb.Stairs leading into the tomb.
Stairs leading into the tomb.

Stairs make it possible to descend into the burial chambers of the longest living Ming emperor, Wanli.
Visitors dwarf, walking the corridors of the tomb.Visitors dwarf, walking the corridors of the tomb.
Visitors dwarf, walking the corridors of the tomb.

Daily, thousands of visitor push into the vaulted corridors of the tomb. They are eager to walk into death's marble palace.
The Royal ContentThe Royal Content
The Royal Content

The encounter with these red lacquered coffins and trunks leaves many visitors dissappointed. Check out the immense size of this vaulted back-chamber.
From a white marble throne, the emperor could rule from eternity.From a white marble throne, the emperor could rule from eternity.
From a white marble throne, the emperor could rule from eternity.

In front of the throne are five drumshaped stools for holding offerings, and the large glazed pot known as the Ever Bright Lamp, filled with oil and lit before the tomb was sealed.
 A variety of peaches are on display, harvested from the gardens surrounding the tombs. A variety of peaches are on display, harvested from the gardens surrounding the tombs.
A variety of peaches are on display, harvested from the gardens surrounding the tombs.

After an exhausting visit to the Ming Tombs, we depart toward Beijing and are greeted by many fruit stands. The fruit is grown in orchards, that surround the Ming cemetery.
Some of the finest "royal" peaches I have ever seen.Some of the finest "royal" peaches I have ever seen.
Some of the finest "royal" peaches I have ever seen.

The peaches are in season, and are carefully displayed, and offered by local farmers to the hungry visitors departing the Ming Tombs.
Chinese Medicines on displayChinese Medicines on display
Chinese Medicines on display

Some of the traditional Chinese medicines on display for tourists in medical facilities. Tour-guides schedule an obligatory visit, taking time away from the more interesting visits to the Ming Tombs and the Great Wall.
Imposing gate on the way to Beijing after an exhausting day at the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs.Imposing gate on the way to Beijing after an exhausting day at the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs.
Imposing gate on the way to Beijing after an exhausting day at the Great Wall and the Ming Tombs.

As visitors return to their hotels in Beijing, this imposing fortress gate stands and reminds of the many obstacles an intruder needed to pass through on the way into the Capitol of the Ming Empire, Beijing.



20th September 2007

truth
Wow,that's amazing!Although I'm a chinese,I know less about Ming Tomb than you.In fact,it's a pity that many young Chinese people don't care about the history,We(besides me ) always head for something fashionable such as hot clothes,pop music,and even handsome boys or pretty girls... What the most important thing is that we forgot our responsibilities.When I saw what you have written in your blog,i was embarrassed ,for many foreigners tend to know our history,however, we chinese(some of us)abandoned our historical knowledge...B...U...T,those pictures you've displayed upside were really very nice,it must be a wonderful journey,right?

Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 123; dbt: 0.2005s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb