Day 2 - afternoon/evening


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
July 2nd 2009
Published: July 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lunch - more Chinese food, with white rice this time. Still no watermelon, thankfully. Be we have had room temperature water, beer and coke at every meal. Matthew had some beer.... lol...just kidding. We did have a cabbage dish with hot peppers. I told Matthew to avoid the hot peppers because they were really hot. Of course, that meant that he had to try them and found out that they were EXTREMELY hot....pretty funny watching him squirm. Cheryl (Pasteur - Old Cour days) got such a laugh out of it.

1 p.m. - After lunch

Latest saga....so the "scanner" in the hotel scanned one of the participants and the red light/alarm went off. Immediately the hotel security came over to her and asked her to re-scan. She did it 2x more and still the light was red with the alarm. The leader of our group told us to just go ahead and not worry. As we got on the elevator Matthew noticed that security came running after her. She was the same person that was "flagged" at the airport. In the end, they detained her and then Chinese Health Department came. She was taken to the hospital and placed in voluntary quarantine. Finally, tonight, around 8 pm she was released...and found to be ok.

Dinner tonight was the welcome banquet with Peking Duck. The food was really good... we had egg/tomatoe with sauce, kung pao chicken with figs and chestsnuts, roast duck with the little pancakes and plum sauce, sweet potato fries, and fried dough. The best part was that Matthew tried the duck head....the entire half of the head was on the plate, duckbill and all. Apparently in a special dinner the host splits the head with the guest of honor and then they share the tongue....yum!!!

After dinner we made a quick hike to the market so Matthew could get more Ramune soda. Lucy bought these wierd fruit things, called red hairs, which you break open and have a lychee fruit thing inside.

The personal tailors came to the hotel tonight and we spend time looking at fabric swatches to have custom made clothing. I ordered a suit and Lucy is having a jacket made. Matthew quickly decided that he was not interested so he went back to the room to watch more Chinese TV. We are watching Wimbledon live now, with Chinese narration.

Advertisement



4th July 2009

Following your blog
Hi Ed. I am so much enjoying following your blog, seeing all the pictures and reading your comments. No that I know how to do it, I will check it daily. Hope you continue to have a wonderful time. I love the story of Matt and duck head. Keep it coming. Connie

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb