Day 13 Beijing


Advertisement
Asia » China » Beijing
August 28th 2008
Published: August 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The wind is nearly out of my sails, and we're both ready to come home. Quite frankly, I'm tired of walking. I thought my shoes were great hiking shoes, but they don't last all day on the pavement. CANTONESE LUNCH We head across the street from the Park Plaza for lunch at the Sunshine Kitchen which boasts Cantonese food (a variety of Chinese). It's a place the professionals from the office buildi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Hutong homeHutong home
Hutong home

The Hutong neighborhoods are the oldest in Beijing, dating back 400 years.
New outside wallsNew outside walls
New outside walls

The walls on the outside of the Hutongs south of Tian'an Men Square have been redone and repainted grey.
Cars in HutongCars in Hutong
Cars in Hutong

I was amazed that cars made it down these tiny streets, and even more amazed that the people living in the area could afford them.
Former brothelFormer brothel
Former brothel

The brothel was the tallest building on the street.
Shang Lin HostelShang Lin Hostel
Shang Lin Hostel

Some of the old buildings have been converted into hostels and hotels for tourists to get a better glimpse into the area. I don't think I'd be able to find my way to and fro on the twisting, winding streets.
Silk storeSilk store
Silk store

Gorgeous stuff, huh?
Japanese supperJapanese supper
Japanese supper

We dined at the Japanese restaurant on the lower level of the tower across the street from the Park Plaza. Jesse filled up on sushi, and I died over the ginger-flavored pork.



1st September 2008

About the Hutong
I noticed that you wondered how could they afford owning a car while living in these old hutong. Actually, these buildings are worth alot of money in beijing, as I know, one middle sized siheyuan ( coutreyard?) worth more than 30,000,000RMB, that's almost 5,000,000 us dollars. People live there are rich .
1st September 2008

Rich Hutongs?
Really? Do you live in Beijing? So inside the outer walls the homes are well taken care of and beautiful? We didn't get a chance to tour any actual homes in the hutongs, just peered through outer doorways.
2nd September 2008

Rich Hutong
I live in beijing. Some of the hutong homes have nice rooms and beautiful, live in there like live in houses:), but some of them are really bad, small space and with 3 generations live together. The point is all this old hutong house are located in downtown, unlike big US cities such as NYC, in beijing, the more closer to downtown, the more expensive the land. Original beijingers living there are all waiting the goverment to rebuilt hutong: not rebuilt the way like what you see, but build high commercial buildings, so they could get a lot of compensation, that's really alot of money. PS,most of hutong living people have several other apartment in beijing.

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb