Everything tastes good on a stick


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
September 6th 2005
Published: September 6th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well, at least that's what they say here in China. There are people everywhere selling different kinds of meat on a stick. You select what you want and then they barbecue them for you. We've been told to just go to certain places because otherwise you can get pretty ill and that it tastes great but you can never really be sure what it is you are eating.

We decided to try it out and we discovered that there actually are things that you might want to stay away from. We started off easy with chicken, beef and lamb which all were very good. Then Dan decided that we should be more adventurous so he ordered in bugs (some kind och bettle I guess or a cocoon, we couldn't decide) and smelly tofu (that's the name of it) and bird fetuses. Can't really recommend any of those. The insect was ok but since you knew what you were eating it was disgusting anyway. The tofu smelled and tasted like shit...and the fetuses? I think you can guess. They were a bit hard to chew though because of all the soft bones in them. I am proud that I survived but it's not going to be something I eat every night!!
All food here is great and you can find anything you like (as you can hear). The dumplings are a favourite except that its har to get the right amount, you choose between 6, 8 and 10 but that's apparently not how many you get. Dan and James had a go and got 20 instead of 8, just the two of them. And when I and Emily were going for 16 we ended up with 48 dumplings. Didn't eat everything...

Started class as well. Seems a bit difficult but they start from the beginning. I hvae classes everday from 08.30 to 12.30 and then homework. We have two different teacher and they have two hours each. The methods are rather old, they read ahead and we all chant. But it is difficult to get the pronounciations right and especially with the tones and the teachers likes to point at us individually and then you have to try in front of the entire class until you get it right. So I really must study!!!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb