Beijing - Its more Bonkers than Honkers


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Its half 10 at night and we have been in Beijing for about 48 hours, and I can quite honestly say that it has been one of the wierdest and best experieces of my life.

We touched down at the airport armed only with a guidebook, but it was incredibly easy to get to the hostel. A bus took us from the airport to Tiananmen Square and it was about a 40 minute walk (although it was only 2 blocks on the map. Each block lasts for about half a mile and the roads need to be seen to be believed: the cars go through red lights and bicycles go where they want. I never thought I would see more manic drivers than Cairo but I have!)

The hostel itself also needs to be seen to be believed: it is better than some London hotels that have cost inxs 130 pounds per night, but this costs 3.50. And the beer costs about 33p for 650ml.

Yesterday we walked back to Tiananmen Square then spent the day in the forbidden city. Unfortunately it is being restored in time for the Olympics so about half was under shrouding, but it is still a sight to behold. Last night we had a wonderful dining experience in a local Korean restaurant: a guy filled a hole in the table with burning embers then proceded to BBQ some raw thinly sliced beef that was then dipped in a soy style sauce. That together with 2 drinks cost about 3.50 total and they wouldnt accept a tip!

Today we went up to the olympic park to see the new stadium. The exoskeleton is in place and they are putting the finishing touches to the inside. It looks absolutely fantastic and everything is looking good for an olympic standard showcase

The afternoon was spent at the summer palace which is equally as good as the forbidden city. The bus back took about 1.5 hours and cost 33p for the pair of us.

Tomorrow morning we are off to hike 10km along the great wall Hooray! at 6am Boo! Guess its off to bed for me then.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb