The Great Pee


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
July 18th 2011
Published: July 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

View of the Great WallView of the Great WallView of the Great Wall

A little hazy but beautiful none the less.
Sometimes you get so excited about finally visiting famous tourist sites which you have seen in photos and on movies but then feel a little disppointed when you get there and find it over run with hawkers, garbage and other tourists......today was a rare exception to that rule.

Thanks to Dani's fabulous Chinese skills we took a local bus out to Huairou then haggled hard for a driver to take us to Huanghua section of The Great Wall of China. After a windy drive through the countryside we arrived to a large blue sign stating "This section of The Great Wall is not open to the public" but that's ok cause this is China! We paid a random local guy the equivalent of 30cents then walked up a windy dirt track on the outside of the wall. At the end of the path was a ladder....to get on to The Wall we had to climb a rusty rickety ladder balancing on one end of the wall and held by a precarious piece of wood, at the top we squished through the tiny window of the watch tower and found ourselves alone on top of The Great Wall.

The only people in sight, we could see The Wall snaking off in both directions totally unobstracted by cable cars and souvenier stalls. Had lots of fun posing for photos until the call of nature drew our attention to our isolation and the chance to experience a loo with a view and pee on thousands of years of history.

Advertisement



22nd July 2011

peeing on history
what a classic! love it

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb