Beijing...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Great Wall of China
March 11th 2007
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tian'anmen SquareTian'anmen SquareTian'anmen Square

Not like on TV!
Beijing-China, the Great Wall, Tian’anmen Square, the Forbidden City, Chairman Mao…, all names to invoke thoughts of events both recent and historic.
And here we are en route to what was called Peking in my old atlas. Arriving at the newish airport some distance from the capital there is much evidence of a massive building program in preparation for the Olympics (August 2008). A modern airport is taking shape plus high-speed rail links confirm the rate of growth and investment taking place. The atmosphere is heavy, the sun hidden in the haze, which looks familiar to those of us who recall London in the 50’s. A long transfer to our hotel, very modern and well appointed.
Top of our list is the purchase of a genuine ‘coolie’ hat as used by workers in the paddy fields? Our number one grandson has earnestly requested this item, for what purpose we do not know! But first, photo-texts to the family then postcards and stamps for the others back home.
The next day proves to be busy and most interesting starting with a visit to Tia’anmen Square, a vast open area bounded by the Forbidden City on one side, and containing the impressive
Chinese exploring Tian'anmen...Chinese exploring Tian'anmen...Chinese exploring Tian'anmen...

All Tourists together!
Mausoleum to Mao Tse-tung and a Memorial to the Martyrs, sounds familiar?
All is bright, bustling, spotless but cold. Snow last week but today bright sunshine. There are at least 9million bicycles in Beijing, we counted! Our guide is well informed, well travelled and very positive when talking about the new China. Clearly, tourism is encouraged and well supported not only for foreigners but also for many visitors from the country. Many Chinese tour groups are among those from foreign countries.
Now into the Forbidden City, full of history and like many other places undergoing refurbishment. Our guides explain the significance of much of the architecture and fittings, many of which are connected to an eclectic mix of Chinese tradition and ‘superstition’, not to be undervalued however! Their history covers several millennia unlike ours! Lunch at the hotel followed by coaches to the Great Wall, a very popular tourist spot.
The Great Wall is a remarkable construction; some 6000Km 4000miles(?) long according to some authorities and it is visible from space! We cover about 2 Km but some parts are very steep so it feels further. Snow is visible in sheltered areas and some Australian visitors are intrigued (especially
Forbidden CityForbidden CityForbidden City

Entrance to hat was a 'forbidden' place
some children) having never seen snow before!!! Back to the hotel and we sign up for a speciality dinner at a top Beijing nightspot where the Roast Dusk is ‘the best in China’! (This dish is we are told a real treat for the locals who have embraced the new Chinese entrepreneurial economy). There is much to confirm the new spirit of growth and business freedoms which news reports indicate.
In summary a fascinating visit, we were well received and clearly China is planning a real feast for the Olympics, which will open at 8pm on the 8th of August (the 8th month) in 2008, (That day is my 70th birthday!). In Chinese folk law, the numeral 8 is especially fortuitous.
We conclude that the future is with China, its spirit, confidence and mix of central control and business freedom augurs well.
It’s late and we plan a special case pack for an early call, 3am! We are off to Agra in India, via Delhi, but we are to leave our main cases in secure location while we overnight in Agra for the Taj Mahal! And a trip by charter train. Should be fun!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Refurbishing...Refurbishing...
Refurbishing...

Even in he Forbidden City
9 million bicycles9 million bicycles
9 million bicycles

a few of the many
Great WallGreat Wall
Great Wall

on the wall
Great WallGreat Wall
Great Wall

a popular part of the Wall, near Beijing


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb