BEIJING


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Beijing » Forbidden City
October 13th 2010
Published: October 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BEIJING
We were unable to obtain landing permits for the airplane that had to be interchanged on a short term notice and were diverted to Japan. I was unaware that the airline, airplane, group, individuals, ... all needed permits in Beijing, Xian and Kathmandu.
Therefore, I decided to take a commercial airline to Beijing splitting from the group and was joined by another couple from Chicago, Sharon and Fred.
Beijing was very interesting and informative but crowded. Some areas alotted 5 squaremeters per person ( in the past 3 squaremeters). About 5x5 feet. The smog was impressive as was Tiananmen Square, the forbidden city and of course the great wall. I took 1600 steps ( uneven in height and depth) to reach the 6th tower and was about to have a coronary. Amazing structure.
Interesting tidbids: Officially 1 mill people died building the wall, unofficially 13 mill. There was not enough space to bury the corpses and the dead workers ended up in the foundation of the wall. 22 million workers were engaged to build the wall over 3-4 centuries.
Reward for the 3 farmers finding the terracotta warriers in Xian in 1973: $ 1.30
7 liters milk consumption per person / a. Did have serious problems finding milk for my coffee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

the great wallthe great wall
the great wall

'speaking cellphone is strictly prohibited when thunderstorm' if you have heart or brain disease, please ascend the great wall according to your capability


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb