Angkor Thom


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
December 1st 2016
Published: December 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

I have seen the Angkor faces many times on tv and in pictures, but the scale and number of the faces is so much more when you are close. It would be a serious challenge to count the number of faces. The guidebook says there is disagreement on the count. The complexity of the structure is also something you only have some feel of when walking around the corridors and climbing up to the top. The Bayon temple also has an impressive series of bas-reliefs - many detailsincluding a crocodile eating some of the soldiers who have fallen in the sea battle. The royal palace enclosure is full of trees, giving the effect of the ruins combining with nature. At the end of the visit beyon elephant terrace inside leper terrace there is a hidden wall with carvings of men with swords and nagas.

This afternoon I collected my half marathon kit. The route passes Angkor Wat and Bayon amongst others. There will be about 2000 runners.

The evening entertainment was an acrobatic performance. This is a show put on by local performers who were trained as young boys in a school set up in a deprived area. It was performed in a circus tent with elements of traditional circus, but also including mime, Indian style dance, break dancing, karate, gymnastics, aerial gymnastics and comedy. Small scale, but effective.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb