Siem Reap


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
February 20th 2012
Published: February 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Friday Feb 17 we arrive in Cambodia and are met by our guide Khet who shows us immediately the huge smile and gracious treatment we will receive from all the Cambodian people. Cambodia is far less populated, greener and more subdued. Our hotel Le Meridien is situated in a huge green space with gardens all around. The pool is again spectacular. In the afternoon we make our first visit to the city of Angkor. In it's day Angkor was the largest city in the world with a population of several million and covering an area of over 200 square miles. It contains almost 300 temples and in the middle is a huge lake. Many temples are surrounded by walls and moats. It is steaming hot and we visit our first temple Wat. It is the largest temple in the world and was first a Hindu temple and later a Buddhist temple. The sheer size and detail of the architecture and carvings amazes us.

Saturday we are taken by tuk tuk to Angkor. It is an open cart for two pulled by a motorscooter. We arrive at the gate and walk through. We are passed by elephants and see monkeys on the wall. We visit the large temple called Bayon temple which has many towers. Each tower has four sides and each side has a huge smiling Buddha face. We break for lunch and a swim and then back to Angkor to see Ta Prohm and Preah Khan. Ta Prohm has been left largely as it was found by French explorers with the jungle overtaking it. We see giant trees growing out of the tops of the walls and massive roots wind down and around the structures. We wonder if the temple is holding up the jungle or is the jungle supporting the temple! This is such a contrast to the more recent history that we have seen in Vietnam and we can't help but be in awe of the people who created this fabulous place. We go into Siem Reap for dinner and sample the local dish of Amok. Very tasty. Quick trip to the festive night market to buy a Cambodian scarf and home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb