back in phnom penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
February 5th 2011
Published: February 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We were in Kampot for a few days and enjoyed our time there very much. On one of our days there we went to see some caves outside of the city and stopped at a pagoda (buddhist temple) to get directions. there were a few teen age boys who were
dressed in the orange robes that the monks wear. they were eager to talk to us and show us inside the temple. it was a most amazing temple with much detailed carving in the stone and paintings on the walls and ceilings depicting stories of buddhas life. the boys did not speak much english but were very eager to talk to us about our life. they really touched us because of how kind they were and they seemed to shine with innocence and honesty. i will always remember their faces.
yesterday we packed up the motorbike and headed back to phom penh as we needed to drop off the motorbike there. as usual, a few interesting road sites..for example, the cows crossing the highway in the city (where they actually belong is unclear as its a CITY), and the minivans loaded to the top with produce..and few young guys stuck sitting on the roof (holding onto who knows what) while the driver is going 70km/hr...geez!
it was nice to have had the bike to travel around as it gave us the flexibility to go wherever we wanted quite easily. however, its also nice not to have to RIDE on those unpredictable and very dusty roads anymore and move onto public transportation.
today we used our time to do some planning and took in a few markets for souviner shopping. cheap cheap cheap clothes. pretty much everything is cheap in the markets around the city. we usually do a short run at 6am where we can as its the coolest time of the day. what a surprise to be running on the boulevard and see a big elephant coming up the city street with its handler. i had to stop running to admire this magnificent beast! well we were wondering why there was an elephant in the city and later in the day we saw the poor animal draped with angkor beer ads and walking about as a billboard. too bad.
tomorrow we are heading by boat down the mekong river to the delta in vietnam. this will be the last chapter of our trip. we will keep you posted and update with more pics as we can.

Advertisement



6th February 2011

enjoying your blog
I am loving hearing all about your trip. Also, the pictures are fantastic and hope you can post more of them.

Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0204s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb