Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
April 27th 2009
Published: April 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cambodia



Cambodia was to be my final Southeast country to visit before heading down south into Thailand, to the many white-sand beaches the islands have to offer and to finish off my year long travelling experience. My passage into Cambodia was to take a 5 hour boat ride up the Mekong River from Chau Doc in Vietnam to the capital city of Phnom Penh where I boarded a bus for the 4 hour long trip down to the South coast to Sihanoukville (pronounced Sinna-ville) - A port city and beach resort surrounded by white-sand beaches and undeveloped tropical islands. A place with no significant history, other than the was jungle hacked out in the late 1950's to create Cambodia's first and only deep-water port, named in honour of the then King Sihanoukville. Today it's a mecca for the people of Phnom Penh who travel down to relax and enjoy the white sandy beaches, as I too did the same, dine on seafood and to reflect on my travels passed by. Before heading back up north to Phnom Penh and try to understand and make sense of the trauma's at Toul Sleng museum, better known as Security Prison 21 (S-21 formerly Phnom Penh High School converted into a prison) and come face to face with the Khmer Rouge victims displayed on white boards throughout the museum. Between 1975 to 1978 more than 17,000 people where held in detention and torture at S-21, only to be murdered later at the near by killing fields of Choeung Ek. Ironically at the same time being here, and after some thirty years after the event, the trial of a former Khmer Rouge officer in charge of S-21 had just commenced charged for his part in crimes against humanity. This being the main news topic around town, dominating many of the local papers and television broadcasts. Despite this grim history and troubled times, I found that browsing the city's markets, or lingering in the beautiful boutiques that are putting Phnom Penh on the style map, or street surfing through the many locals stalls for a snack, I cannot help wondering that this city in it's extremes of poverty and wealth in parts, is rising up from the ashes to take it's place among the cool capitals of the region supported by the locals always having constant smiles and being very warn and welcoming.....

It was onto Siem Reap next, and my highlight of Southeast Asia - As explained to me, the heart and soul of Cambodia is it's Temples of Angkor, a source of inspiration and national pride to the people of Cambodia - I have dedicated a separate blog entry for the Temples of Angkor (soon to be posted) as this was truly an amazing experience and place to visit, this taking up much of my

Advertisement



Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb