Angkor what?


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
March 28th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So following an overnight stop at the Cambodian town of Kompong Cham, we finally arrived at Siem Reap, the capital of the ancient Khmer dynasties. The kind bus company arranged a nice friendly taxi to collect us and escort us to the hotel in town, Mr Lucky was his name, he even has his own website! He turned out to be anything but a lucky find as he insisted that we stay at his friend's hotel and use only his taxi service etc. Because there were 4 of us (us two, Lydie and Richard), he immediately saw dollar signs and would not take no for an answer, even though we said it repeatedly. Anyway, we managed to escape his grasp and found a nice new hotel with a very good taxi driver for the trips around the temples of Angkor. We spent 3 days visiting the impressive towers and exquisite carvings of the main sites. We got a bit templed out after 3 days of it especially as the heat was almost unbearable but it is undoubtedly a very special place. The kids who sell bits and bobs outside the temples were quite entertaining with their "Hello Sir, you want buy bracelets? I saw you first so you buy from me!"
We then said goodbye to Lydie who was heading back to Bangkok, and to Richard who was heading south, and we went to Phnom Penh. We had decided that we were not going to explore further within Cambodia as, rightly or wrongly, we thought we had seen enough of the place for now. We stayed in Phom Penh for two nights and collected our visa for Vietnam


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb