Days 3 and 4 in Angkor


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
November 27th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today, Darith, our guide, wished me a Happy Thanksgiving. I'd completely forgotten about it. Quite naturally so, as we're so busy that I barely have time to think about anything else but temples, vishnus, shivas, etc.

To all of you out there who celebrate this American holiday, Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Thanks so much for the interesting comments. Nancy, before I left Paris, a friend gave me the book "The Gate" in French and I'm reading it in the evenings. It's very interesting, but hard going. And Betty, yes, Cambodia is definitely worth visiting, and you can have easy access to NGO's. Apparently, the government here really counts on them, which in a way isn't good (because there's rampant corruption at top levels here), but if it's sustainable help, the Cambodian people certainly need it.

Darith told me today that there is a campaign on against throwing trash on the ground, but that the farmers here have always done this (before the age of plastic bags and bottles) because the animals on the ground --Cambodian houses are on stilts--ate it all up!

In any case, the campaign in Siem Reap seems to be working, as the streets are cleaner than in Phnom Penh and the countryside.

I don't have much time this evening to write (going for another massage and swim before dinner), so I'll just add the photos.

We have a full day tomorrow (shopping for local produce, cooking and then eating our meal with a Cambodian family; followed by a visit to 4 temples), and Saturday afternoon we leave for Paris.

bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

drinking coconut juicedrinking coconut juice
drinking coconut juice

very refreshing!
road to Kor Kerroad to Kor Ker
road to Kor Ker

one of the bumpiest rides I've had in a long time!
a well-preserved lingaa well-preserved linga
a well-preserved linga

guess what this represents?
deforestation along the waydeforestation along the way
deforestation along the way

apparently, corrupt generals sell this exotic wood (teak, etc.) to Indonesia and Thailand for their own profit. The forests, of course, are on public land!
Boeng MeleaBoeng Melea
Boeng Melea

This temple is 55 kms from Siem Reap and is in very poor condition, but I really liked it.


27th November 2008

Turkey !!
Hey mom, Nice pictures...Well hopefully there is someone in the family keeping the Thanksgiving tradition alive !!! lol Tag football and lots of Turkey and cranberries and sweet potatoes and pecan pie for me today....Hummmmm yummmy Big hugs and kisses See you in Quebec, Love Ej

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb