The Kingdom of Cambodia


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia
November 25th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Travelling from Saigon into Cambodia gave us a taste of our first PUBLIC bus. We were not at all looking forward to a gruelling seven hour journey, and to make it worse we were forced to listen to Kareoke... Cambodian of origin, cringeworthy and chaotic. Even the loudest rendition of the Stereophonics' 'Thousand Trees' on our ipods couldn't drown it out.

As if that wasn't enough, following that was an episode of Cambodia's version of Laurel & Hardy which had Lauren hooked and Gemma and Lucy banging their heads together.

Phnom Penh

Our tour guide took us on a rocky Tuk Tuk ride to the local delicatesant - a roadside pasting table selling everything from crispy cockroaches to smoked snake.

To the astonishment of the other two, Gemma was the first to taste Tarantula convincing the others that it tasted exctly like Sandown Road's Crispy Beef (think of that next time your tucking in YUM YUM). Lucy and Lauren were egged on and eventually bit the bullet, or more the leg. Animal lover Lucy refused to eat the body though, P.E.T.A would be proud.

Not to disappoint the TRES AMIGOS sniffed out Phnom Penh's up and coming party district - 'The Quay'. After making friends with the Tequilla guy and dancing the night away on a floating nightclub it is safe to say that Cambodia's nightlife should not be underestimated.

To get our local sporting fix we hit a Cambodian Kick boxing fight. Imagine dodgy music, dodgy spectators and dodgy outfits - it was like Port Talbot's Pier Swim.

You can't visit Cambodia and avoid the reminders of the recent war. We spent a day in S-21 prison and the killing fields paying our respects, a touching and sad experience.

Siem Reap

We can't write about Cambodia without mentioning 'Dead Fish' Restaurant. The interior resembles a building site minus the safety scaffolding. It would be every Health and Safety officer's worst nightmare, not to mention the live Crocodiles in the corner, who knows what they were there for. We made sure we paid our bill and left a hefty tip.

Before embarking on our trip we decided that, given the opportunity, we would visit an orphanage and spend a day with the children.

This opportunity arose here in Siem Reap. So off to the smelliest market imaginable we went in search of books, toys and food to take with us.

What an experience...
50 children as young as 3 years old occupied the tiny dwelling that they loved so much and warmly welcomed us into.

Lauren immediately befriended a 15 year old music lover who took to her ipod like a fish to water. The friendship was recipricated when he pointed out the similarities between her and a certain dark petite pop princess. :-)

Lucy met her three year old counter part . Wicked, cheeky and daring. They loved eachother.

Gemma got her ass kicked by the older boys who taught her a thing or two about football, she gracefully retired to get beaten yet again this time by the younger boys in skittles!!! Like a good loser she blamed the heat and the pressure.

A heart warming day and a teary farewell left us feeling extremely lucky for what we have.

Ankgor Tom

4am start to watch the sunrise over the famous Ankgor Wat temples.

Eager beavers Lucy & Lauren were wide awake, head torches on, cameras ready, geeking it up waiting for the prime photo opportunity. On the other hand Gemma 'i don't do mornings' O'Callaghan sat silently unimpressed only to be heard muttering the words "I need a cup of tea!"

After lots of photos, anxious waiting and a cup of tea we all sat back in awe as the sunrise was everything it promised to be... Spectacular!

We were also lucky enough to visit the various other temples in Angkor Tom on elephant back. One of which was the "Tomb Raider' famous Jumgle Temple. The other sightseers didn't know what had hit them when we started busting out some Angelina Jolie action moves; forward rolls, imaginary hand guns and complete disregard for the 'No Climbing' signs.

Cambodia was full of suprises including a floating village with it's very own Catholic Church, School, Basketball Court and Restaurant. Once again there were live Crocodiles - we still haven't worked out what that is all about?! We thought that Chicken was chewy. Eeek!

To end our time in Siem Reap we watched the sunset on hammocks with an Angkor Beer in hand. The perfect end to time well spent in the Kingdom of Cambodia.

To keep you updated; Mozie control is going badly, Gemma's huge bag is costing her a fortune in tips and a bar tan is the closest we've got to looking 'sunkissed.'

Hope its been worth the wait!

Peace and love The Tres Amigos

x x x x x x x x x x

To see the photos go to

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=67408&l=4f09d&id=511454691

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=68979&l=4d331&id=511454691

Advertisement



4th December 2008

Missing you
Hi to my 3 girls, lots of crocs by the sound of it, not as scary as sharks tho Lauren! Just been reading your last blog hilarious, missing you Lauren at the moment but I hope you are not missing Port Talbot keep enjoying love you all loads, Jaynex

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb