The smiles of the Khmers


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » West » Kaôh Kong
March 8th 2010
Published: March 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Me Wies and Bart crossed the border at Hat lek and as soon as our mini buss dropped us off people were grabbing our bags trying to take them for an big big price across the border. Unfortunatly for most Asains we all have the lonely planet which allows us all to have a chance if we're smart enough to know when we are being ripped off. So the best thing to do is go in hiding for 20 minutes, eat some food then go back and find a nice little old man who will do you a good deal.
We had to fill out health forms and have photos taken for the visa but some guy did it all, then suddenly wanted a tip for helping us, although it's his job and he works there, so i said know being wise to all the scams they try and while I was in the toilet he got $10 out of Wies, little bugger!
We got a taxi from the border to Kaoh kong province for 400 baht ( about 8 quid ) between the 3 of us and the some how after we paid we suddenly owed them more for taxes and bridge toll. Yet again and mean look from Lissy and off we go paying just 400 baht, think i got the hang of this now!
Me, Wies and bart got a room together in a lovely little guest house and found a nice restaurant to eat dinner in, it's a bit tricky in Cambodia to find veggie food and we are all veggie so this place was a godsend. We ordered food and then suddenly everyone went quiet. I turned around and there was Russ. Leaving each other in a different country and ending up in the same restaurant in a whole other country and this city of all the places to eat, I don't know if i believe in fate but that's pretty close to what I guess fate means. We talked for a while and then went our seperate ways again. I spent the rest of the evening sobbing my heart out and going on and on to Wies and Bart about how much I loved him so later that night I went searching for him after the flashing light sign wouldn't go off in my head, it was saying "BIG MISTAKE CAN"T LIVE WITHOUT RUSS". I asked around and found his guesthouse and found his room and we went from there and haven't looked back. Who said romance was dead!
Me and Russ moved into the room next door to Wies and bart in a lovely guest house owned by an old man with his beautiful teenage daughter and little grinning boy.
The four of us hired some mopeds and went to a water fall about 20km away, there was a dirt track ( soo fun) to the waterfall which russ loved and then the waterfalls themselves were pretty nice. They weren't massive as it's not the rainy season but we swam in the rock pools and got under the waterfalls. We then all went to the beach and ate some horrid seafood but the beach was beautiful and the sea was stupidly hot, about 26 degrees like a hot bath!
The funniest and nicest thing about camdodia is the people. Their smile lights up your every move. They are sooo lovely and welcoming despite their recent grousome past. The funny thing about them is that 80% of the women and children wear P.J's all day long, and I mean real P.J's with spaceships and teddys and stuff on, we can't work out why they do this but its endearing and funny.
We all got pretty sun burnt in Kaoh kong, me my legs ( shorts without shorts) russ and bart vest burn and Wies forhead and nose until it blistered, it's a completly different level of hot here, it's going to be a sweaty few weeks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb