Welcome to the Wild West


Advertisement
Asia » Cambodia » West » Kaôh Kong
November 26th 2006
Published: December 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Cambodian Frontier I came to the Thai/Cambodian border at Hat Lek around 6pm on the 22nd. My visa was due to expire in a few hours, but the border was supposedly open until 8pm, giving me plenty of time. Rain was pouring down like I hadn't seen since the end of the monsoon, and everyone on the Thai side was huddling under shelters as if the drops of precipitation were gonna kill them. Bu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




7th December 2006

wow...cant believe i found your blog,it reads like a Jack Kerouac/Bill Bryson novel! Well done on getting rid of the backpackers bible. it sounds like your having an incredible time,hope that nomadic spirit stays strong. make the best of every second you have traveling,western civilisation with all its "comforts" will never compare to the infused smell of spices,sewage,body odour and insense and the roar of 7people in a 3man tuk-tuk!! please have a beer chang for me if you get back to thailand!
8th December 2006

Gemma!
I'm excited you found it (and liked it). Please write me an email: nic.nakis@gmail.com
16th December 2006

it's interesting..I was talking to a friend a little earlier- it seems I was envisioning other countries (namely central american) as being clean and relatively untamed, comparably to where I'm from- but I guess a lot of such countries may be worse off in areas like pollution since they don't have any regulatory structures in place. Is that styrofoam supposed to be in the 'bamboo crab pots'?
16th December 2006

"imagining"
You were "imagining" that these places are clean. To paraphrase a quote I heard the other day, the real value of travel is to temper your imagination with reality. In fact, Cambodia has the worst pollution I have ever witnessed. It's quite sad to see such a beautiful place willfully ruined by it's own inhabitants with so much litter and waste. LDCs in the Americas might have some of the same problems, but I don't know.
18th December 2006

Question
Nic, Everywhere you've gone you have access to electricity? You're writing daily and I guess I just wonder how remote are these remote places? How close to main cities? What's the infrastructure like, etc.?
18th December 2006

Answer
Actually, I haven't been writing every day, not nearly. I write the blogs when I get access to a decent internet connection (often rare) and just back date them to reflect the time period they're referring to. Most places have had power, but a few have had to pull off of generators. I occassionally come across somewhere with just campfires and candles, like I did in Laos.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 20; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb