Going On A Trip To Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » West » Kaôh Kong
December 6th 2017
Published: December 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

One of the highlights of my trip



Angkor Wat is the foremost and most visited center of attraction in Cambodia. It is the largest religious monument in the world and the World Heritage Site of UNESCO. Angkor Wat is now a significant national symbol of Cambodia.



Angkor Wat was originally created as a temple of Hindu, and it is still stuffed with stone reliefs and statues of Hanuman, Shiva, Ganesh, and the Apsaras. After Khmer Empire disintegrated, Angkor Wat was then changed into a Buddhist temple. Over the centuries, the temple has still been in use, and there are still some observations and ceremonies for both the Hindus and Buddhists.



King Suryavarman passed the order for the Angkor Wat temple to be constructed, and he made it his official capital city and temple. Its location was fertile, strategic, and central, and it fits very well into the alignment of celestial.



They arranged the structures in the temple in relation to the positions of the stars, moon, sun, and earth. The temple at the center symbolizes Mount Meru (this is the home of Hindu gods). The moat surrounding the temple represents the sea.



Travelling to get there



It was a long bus ride to get to Angor Wat but I don't mind travel time. I studied Economics at University and I like to read about and understand new technology. I wrote two articles for my personal blog on the trip. The website doesn't make me any money, it's not even got adverts. But I love to do it and using travelling time for something worthwhile is definately something I picked up.



Visiting Angkor Wat



Angkor Wat is one of the temples with lots of complexes close to the Seam Reap modern city, and these cities include the Terrace of Elephants, Phimeanakas, Bayon and Ta Prohm temples, and Angkor Thom. The Temple of Ta Prohm has more recognition due to the fact that it was one of the locations used in a hit movie titled Tomb Raider. The temples are very large and will take several miles to cover, and this can even take you months to fully explore.



The closest city to the temples is Seam Reap and in its means “defeat Siam,” Khmer’s enemy for a millennium. They were in charge of Angkor Wat in the year 1431, and the outside world forgot the site. During the times of French colonial, the ruins were publicized by an explorer named Hermi Mouhot, and ever since then, the site’s restoration has evolved. Today, Angkor Wat attracts over five hundred thousand visitors every year.



If you are visiting with your family or you are with over two visitors, the easiest way to get around is to hire a vehicle and driver. You can find a driver that can drive you around the cities and the temple all day. This will even save you a lot of cash, and it will give you a great convenience.





To get a proper view of the main temple (Angkor Wat), you will have to walk for about three kilometers around the galleries of sculptures, across the moat, and climb the stairway to get to the artificial mountain’s top. The Angkor Wat is a very nice place to visit with family and friends, and you have to plan yourself very well before going.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1214s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb