Angkor Wat


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South
July 12th 2013
Published: July 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Bewilderment overcomes me, as I stand in awe, transfixed, and my eyes wander amongst these rambling creations that still stand the test of time. My mind is overtaken by the silent echo of foreign tongues, and the vision of daily life of an ancient civilisation from so long ago. Surreal describes the moment, I feel overwhelmed with what lies before me.

Monoliths in stone are strewn about, standing proudly, and withholding the secrets of their being. I visualise thousands of labouring men, toiling and sweating as they follow the orders of some great leader, relentless in his demands and expectations. This would consume their lives and their minds. Many would die.

Monstrous trees, thousands of years of age, have managed their journey of life amongst these buildings, continuing their growth through every crevice and crack, throwing their roots and attaching themselves to the bare, unprotected stone, unwilling to be discouraged. Moss thrives, green and lush on shadowy and crumbling surfaces.

Hidden in time, hidden in location, lies the most under rated treasure of our world. I find it hard to fathom that this has existed for so very long. Silently struggling for survival, silently standing in all of it's magnificence and grandeur. Proud and stubborn, refusing to wither away into oblivion and challenging the future.

Gentle winds blow through the gnarling trees, whistling within the formation of buildings with silent warning. Leaves scuttle across the uneven ground, with rocks and stone interrupting their plight, secreting tales from the past. Shadows flicker about, foreboding and changing the colours of the surrounds.

We stumble upon huge faces, kings of the time,carved into blocks of stone, pieced together by ancient human hands. Every expression strong and fresh, not one the same, weathered by time and coloured by life. To touch, to feel, to revere and respect. Temples stand proud, exuding the reverence they so deserve, even though they begin to erode, even though they have succumbed to nature.

Kingdoms are scattered about this land, randomly looming amidst the vegetation, closeted in peace, closeted in time. Constructed in another era so far from ours, thrust in the middle of nowhere, concealed from the world, concealed from enemies. In all it's splendour and defiance, daring nature to intervene. We scramble with respect amongst the ruins as we could not do anywhere else in the world. We feel the crumble of stone, we smell the decay of rock, we touch ancient history and hold the moment forever.

We are moved, we are inspired, we are without words. We have witnessed the unfathomable. We are blessed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



12th July 2013

Amazing!
Your writing keeps me transfixed on the article. It takes me there, Rita! I feel like I am on holidays with you. Can't wait to read more....
2nd August 2013

wow you nailed it!!
thank you for your writing here--you have described it so well with words I cannot even come up with--beautiful--thankyou. such a wonderful place--was there in 2009 and will return
3rd August 2013

Thanks so much, David !! Glad you enjoyed the read, and also happy that you also were honoured with the very special experience of the Angkor Wat. You are welcome to read my other blogs.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb