Delayed Hello!


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
October 31st 2006
Published: October 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Well, firstly apologies not having put a single word in the blog. It seems that so much is going on that I haven't had time to write it all!

Still, been busy. Spend a few days in Bangkok, did a bit of sightseeing including a really cool snake bite/rabies red cross centre which farms its own snakes for antivenin. Then Siem Reap, home of Angkor Wat.

It's pretty mad. Loads going on, loads of street vendors, tuktuk drivers and little street urchins flogging postcards. The temples are pretty amazing. I won't bore you with the pictures...

Had a nightmare getting there from Bangkok - 21 of us, with luggage, plus driver and codriver, in one toyota Hilux for eight hours on a flooded, potholed dirt track. I can only just face sitting down 2 days later!

Checked out a landmine museum-come-orphanage after all the Wats. Really interesting stuff; they even have a mock minefield so you can see exactly how hard they are to spot, and all the guides are victims themselves so you can see the impact it has on the community. You can see folk with missing limbs from stumbling across them in the fields all over the place, and there are still 6 to 10 million of these things knocking about the countryside, as well as loads of unexploded bombs. Most are plastic too so can't be picked up by a metal detector.

Today in Phnom Penh we went to see S-21, torture and interrogation base for the Khmer Rouge and out tomorrow to see the Killing Fields, where they took the folk from S-21 next. Cheery.
Then Vietnam, if it hasn't been washed away...

Anyway, best dash. Got to go try and find the nice Swedish girls we met the other day...

Hope all is well back in the UK

N.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb