Off to the Capital -Phnom Penh


Advertisement
Cambodia's flag
Asia » Cambodia » South » Phnom Penh
May 20th 2011
Published: May 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We had breaky at the hotel today. We got served a baguette and some fried eggs, nothing fancy. We headed to the bus station a few minutes before our bus was scheduled to leave. Of course we didn't left 45 minutes late.

The ride to Phnom Penh took 5 1/2 hours because of all the stops. When we arrived we took a tuk tuk to a hotel that was on our flyer map thing. The hotel was a dump. The walls were cement with paint wearing off, there was no room to move around, the bathroom door blocked the toilet when you opened it, and the matress was lumpy ( I make sure I always feel the bed),so we continued on our way. The tuk tuk driver said he knew of a good place so we went there. Again it was a dump. Pretty much the same as the first place. We spelled out the name of the place we wanted to go (Fancy Guesthouse) in big letters and it was literally across the street. We were greeted by the owner with a big smiling hello. He excitedly showed me the 2 rooms he had available and I had decided on the cheaper one. He asked how many nights we stay and when we told him 3 or 4 he says, "ohhh, don't tell, but I give you the nicer room with balcony and free coffee for same price!" So we are in a comfortable size room with a queen size bed, clean bathroom, wifi in room, cable tv, free coffee and tea, and balcony with table and chairs. It is homey and cute. The owner showed Tris that he charged a lady 35$ for this room the other day haha.

After settling in we went for a walk. I have been to Phnom Penh before but only bits and peices look familiar. A lot of buildings have gone up across the river that weren't there when I came here back in 2006. Walking along the main street I recognized a couple resteraunts. I'm determined to find a non-profit restaraunt that supports a local orphanage that I went too. Dad and I ate at it a few times. We ended up going to Blue Pumpkin (same place in Siem Reap) for a sandwich and smoothie.

After filling our faces we walked along the river where people were doing areobics, going for jogs, picnicing with their families, or chatting with friends. Its a real treat to be able to watch families and friends interact. The simplest things such as hearing laughter, or having a smile returned can brighten my day. Disabled people sit on the walkway with weigh scales to make a few bucks. I respect them though because at least they aren't sitting their with a bowl begging. With a weigh scale they are at least providing a service.

Phnom Penh is the only place in Cambodia that has a legal casino. Gambling is illegal in Thailand and Laos. Even finding a deck of cards was next to impossible in those countries, and if you did find them they were about $7-9 a deck. We took a tuk tuk to the casino. It was in a large fancy hotel that reminded us of something you'd see in Las Vegas. Walking in we both felt very under dressed as everyone was in fancy gowns, dresses, or khaki's. Our shorts and tank tops felt a little weird. We went in with a limit of $10 each. I ended up spending $2, and Tris came out ahead $10.

Tomorrow we plan on checking out some of the sites and markets.

I came across a photographer living in Cambodia and his photos are not only beautiful but inspirational. He really captures the essence of Cambodia. He captures the happiness of the people, the elegance of the temples, and true beauty. I hope his photos move you as much as they did me. 😊

http://nathanhortonphotography.com/default4.asp


Speaking of photos, I did not take any photos today. I'll take the camera out tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb